dead calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

grand chaser09

Reaction score
ive been mia for awhile due to college, family, cattle, and rodeos. i used to mainly post on the show board.
This was my cows second calf and she was bred to one of our simmi bulls who has always thrown a low bw calf. her last calf was a dr.who[low bw bull] and he cam out about 75lbs. i'm not sure what happened with this fella here and i'd like to have your oppinion on it. my grandpa, dad, and i all have diffrent guesses. gramps thinks the calf was plugged up with mucous, dad thinks she was in labor too long, and i think that the calf had probably died along time ago due to how developed he is. heres some pics.

calfs sire on the right.
hjdkj217.jpg

calf and momma[she's a mainetainer]
l_6effbbc7ad2e45e985c9e1860f21803a.jpg

l_0f1f99a64cb844ac9314e2dacaf0bb50.jpg

l_08b0460f678f41b6bae0173f5d36a85e.jpg

The calf seems perfectly developed but small.The mother and other cows seem gaunt and on the thin side according to pics?The mothers condition could have a lot to do with it all-difficult to say from just looking at pics.

Could have been something as simple as the sack over its face. Could have been stillborn, which could have been caused by a long birth, disease or even a developmental problem. You could have it posted if you really want to know, but there is no guarantee that they could tell you for sure.

the dam of the calf was in fine condition. she is back to being compleatly filled out and it's only 2 weeks after her delivery. the other cows you see in the pics were first time heifers and the calves took alot out of them. plus not much rain means crappy grass. and hay has gone through the roof down here so i'm not feeding it. i'm selling most of them off. also the one i presume you are looking at the hardest[next to the dam by the limbs] has always been a p.o.s but my father insited on keeping her till she had her first calf.
and the calf weighed a good 120lbs. i know he did. i rolled him off into his hole we dug for him.
i don't plan on posting it since like i said we already barried him lol.

randiliana":c0fal03n said:
Could have been something as simple as the sack over its face. Could have been stillborn, which could have been caused by a long birth, disease or even a developmental problem. You could have it posted if you really want to know, but there is no guarantee that they could tell you for sure.
I agree with Randi, could have been a number of reasons, and you will probably never know. Sometimes it just happens. Good luck with the next one. I hope things improve down there.

grand chaser09":x8g3923t said:
...the calf weighed a good 120lbs. i know he did. i rolled him off into his hole we dug for him.

Sorry about your lost calf.

IF it was anywhere near a "120 lb calf" that may be your answer right there. I didn't follow the discussion above very well but there is a big difference between a 75 lb calf and a 120 lb calf trying to squeeze out the back of the cow pictured.

There is an interesting link on here somewhere to "Ranch TV" from Texas A & M that discusses BCS scores and calving. It talks about having them up to BCS 5 by calving time, esp the last trimester.

The big dividing line question is can you see a cows ribs or not. IF you can see ANY ribs she is a BCS 4 or lower and too thin at calving, according to this video. If you can NOT see any ribs she is probably a BCS 5 or higher which is where they should be at calving. Might be worth a look.

Better luck next time.

Jim

You'll probably never know for sure. However if it was a 120 lb calf, you're lucky that the mother is not dead too.....

First year we got back in the cow business, my folks were going on a 10 day cattle tour out west, and I had the place to myself. We had 1 heifer that had not calved, and of course she delivered it dead while they were gone. It appeared fully developed but was small. Called a good friend to come help me bury it, cause my hubby was no cow help at the time (he's learning) and I really didn't know if mama cow would try to kill me if I went for her calf. That's not the kind of job I'm willing to do alone when there's not even anybody around to hear me screaming.
Short of it is I never knew what happened either. She's had three calves since then, all of which arrived fine.

grannysoo":2fnhm89s said:
You'll probably never know for sure. However if it was a 120 lb calf, you're lucky that the mother is not dead too.....
Well Said, Specially down south !! Sorry for your loss--- it happens. :tiphat:

Poor nutrition, will be a big cause of birthing problems. With the drought, lack of pasture, and hay, your cattle are probably stressed, and birthing is going to be difficult due to the stress.
We were at a cattle seminar put on by our vet last night. good dinner too,
the speakers felt the last trimester was the hardest on the cow. The cow is under alot of stress since the calf is doing the most growing. Minerals is a big thing to help keep the condition up. What else did they say....3-5 weeks before calving the cow is starting to build the colostrum antibodies.
This is the time the cow needs the most nutrition to
-build quality and quantity colostrum
-to grow the calf
-to raise the calf - if she is behind the eight ball when she enters the last tri, it will be difficult to get them up to par before breed back.
-to stay healthy herself
She might not have had the strength to push out that heavy calf, and the calf could have been born weak due to nutrition and mineral deficency.
The cows look like they need more condition

sorry.

I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the calves
RR

thanks for all the replys. I am very lucky i didn't have my cow die as well and i am very thankful for that. also happy the day she calved a cold front had rolled on down here cooling it off to about 65-70 durring the mid day.
about a week before she calved she looked great. no ribs showing at all. but then that day she did. and she is back to looking like a BSC of 5
But thank you for all your replies. i just wish he would have lived, he was a looker. and no more calves for now. he was the last one. just have to wait till next fall/winter.

grand chaser09":1jtf439n said:
the dam of the calf was in fine condition.

Based on the pictures you chose to post - no, she wasn't. She was downright skinny.

she is back to being compleatly filled out and it's only 2 weeks after her delivery.

Gee, no calf to support or nurse tends to make a very big difference.

the other cows you see in the pics were first time heifers and the calves took alot out of them.

That generally happens when they are not getting proper feed. :roll:

plus not much rain means crappy grass. and hay has gone through the roof down here so i'm not feeding it.

And your point is? Do you honestly believe you are the first owner that has been in this position? It goes with the territory, so learn how to take proper care of them or leave them be.

i'm selling most of them off.

Good! I'm glad to hear it!

also the one i presume you are looking at the hardest[next to the dam by the limbs] has always been a p.o.s but my father insited on keeping her till she had her first calf.

ALL of girls in your pictures are under-conditioned.

and the calf weighed a good 120lbs. i know he did. i rolled him off into his hole we dug for him.
i don't plan on posting it since like i said we already barried him lol.

120 lbs? Yeah, right!

Thank you msscamp for being a bitch. I am so glad that i got your wrath for today. But why are you being snide and rude to me? I was asking a question on a dead calf not why my cattle are thin. Apparently I know that. I am NOT incopetant nor am I stupid. I do have a few choice words for you but i won't say them because they are much more severe than calling you a bitch. I wonder if you are one of those old ass people who think that they can treat the rest of the world like **** because you are older than most of us?? I really could care less. Because thats now my oppinion on you. and i hope that the mods kick me off for this post. it will make my day.

grand chaser09":28n7pzer said:
Thank you msscamp for being a be nice. I am so glad that i got your wrath for today. But why are you being snide and rude to me? I was asking a question on a dead calf not why my cattle are thin. Apparently I know that. I am NOT incopetant nor am I stupid. I do have a few choice words for you but i won't say them because they are much more severe than calling you a be nice. I wonder if you are one of those old ass people who think that they can treat the rest of the world like be nice because you are older than most of us?? I really could care less. Because thats now my oppinion on you. and i hope that the mods kick me off for this post. it will make my day.
Chaser, you've been BetteDaviseyesed by msscamp!!! Not a biggie! Happens to everybody sooner or later- especially if you're female.:lol2:

Latest posts