Dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred Belknap

Reaction score
Had a 400lb calf to die of an apparent broken leg. It was down and couldn't get up. It's leg was swollen from knee to belly. I was wondering if there was any way that she could have been saved? I'm thinking that she was stepped on.

I thought the same thing. Daddy always told me w/blackleg you don't find them down. You find them dead. Do you vaccinate for it?

Have found a couple over the years still alive, kept one alive for a few weeks but the swelling all killed the muscle and we shot her in the end. we vaccinate everything now, but the air trapped under the skin in the swelling is the tell tale sign. if it was they say a person should bury the animal deep and all dirt around it that may have had blood on it. once you have it, you will more than likely always have it. Look on the bright side, won't take much thought as to whether to vaccinate or not. :roll:

I don't think it was blackleg. Neighbor called me and said I had a calf with an injured leg. I checked on her and she was able to get up and move a little. The next day she couldn't get up. I think she was born since I last vaccinated. I cut the skin open and there wasn't any dry or black substance. Thanks for the replies.

Easiest way to tell if it was broken is to cut it from knee to shoulder and examine the bone. (That is, if you still have the carcass and it's not too "ripe".) As badly swollen as you describe it should be obvious looking at the bone if it's broken.

Broken legs can be set and can heal; calves do better than mature animals. Odd that she wasn't able to stand. Perhaps she got something stuck in the leg (did you check the underside near the chest?) and it led to swelling and infection; if she were fighting an infection that may account for her not feeling good enough to get up.

What about a snake bite??? just an idea I had one biten this year it has not died yet . but know of another one that did it effects different ones in different ways ?? just an idea you may not even have a snake problem where you live .

BRYANT":1pj6t1ip said:
What about a snake bite??? just an idea I had one biten this year it has not died yet . but know of another one that did it effects different ones in different ways ?? just an idea you may not even have a snake problem where you live .

That there is a new one. It can happen but is rare. In all my years of being around cattle I have only seen one bitten by a snake and it didnt die. It was a hereford bull that got bit on his nuts. Of course he was not able to breed after that and they had to make hamburger which at that point he was killed but he recovered from the snake bite and the venom did not kill him.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":n42ki19p said:
That there is a new one. It can happen but is rare. In all my years of being around cattle I have only seen one bitten by a snake and it didnt die. It was a hereford bull that got bit on his nuts. Of course he was not able to breed after that and they had to make hamburger which at that point he was killed but he recovered from the snake bite and the venom did not kill him.

The one that I know of that died I did not see but he belonged to some people that know a lot about cattle and we were talking about this one that I have yesterday when they told me they lost one this week to a snake bite said he swelled up and got worse till he died they had gave him some shots but i don't remember what I would think he set up infection.The one I have I think is going to be ok there is a big raw sore ,4 inch dia., at the spot .gave him some LA200 seems to be comeing along good. I have had coon dogs biten before never lost one but if effects things different. Kind of like people and bees.

When we ran cattle along the mexican border on range we would lose a couple of calves a year from snakebite. Alwasy when the nights got cold and they were all bitten in the neck or face.

BRYANT":6qsxdhbv said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":6qsxdhbv said:

The one that I know of that died I did not see but he belonged to some people that know a lot about cattle and we were talking about this one that I have yesterday when they told me they lost one this week to a snake bite said he swelled up and got worse till he died they had gave him some shots but i don't remember what I would think he set up infection.The one I have I think is going to be ok there is a big raw sore ,4 inch dia., at the spot .gave him some LA200 seems to be comeing along good. I have had coon dogs biten before never lost one but if effects things different. Kind of like people and bees.

Right not saying it cant happen I just havent seen it. Sounds like that calf had a hard time.

Latest posts