Dead calf ?

Help Support CattleToday:

What does your vet think?

Any additional information you can share? Live calves? Pulled calves? Calf ever nurse? Cows bagged up heavy prior to calving? Cows disposition and observed behavior after calving was ________ ?

Is this the same cow that lost a calf the previous year -- or have you lost 2 calves from 2 different cows this year? If the same cow, goodbye to her.

Help us to better understand... typically any calf death within the first 7 days is too early to be bacterial which leads to a few things:
- birth/genetic defect
- hard labor that deprived the brain of oxygen for too long for the calf to live longer than 7 days

ocholagos":3oyc8ctg said:
Mother cows calves have died within 7 days for the last 2 births ?

And the sky is blue in the middle east today.

You looking for ideas, complaining, telling, asking or what?

A little explanation, or perhaps at least not expecting us to read your mind might help.

Bez+

Thanks for the answers, most of them anyway.
Thought I explained it pretty simply.
Her 08 calf died within 7 days, and now her 09 calf did the same.
Growing wheels was my exact thought, just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience, but maybe turned it around ? The Mom had tremendous milk sack. So Im guessing shes carrying something ?
Guess I'll have to take her in to Vet.

ocholagos":21ffy0nt said:
Her 08 calf died within 7 days, and now her 09 calf did the same.
Growing wheels was my exact thought, just wanted to know if anyone else had the same experience, but maybe turned it around ? The Mom had tremendous milk sack. So Im guessing shes carrying something ?
Guess I'll have to take her in to Vet.

I'd be checking out her 'tremendous milk sack' if the calves weren't otherwise sick. It is quite possible that she has mastitis. That would starve them to death in 7 days.

ocholagos":26o8hgej said:

Actually, you didn't. And - everyone was trying to help.

Much better explanation the second time around. Time for her to go........

Bez is right.
Even though the bag "looks" full it could be completely empty.
Have you tried to get milk out of it?

A hard tight bag is most likely mastitis. The stuff the calf was getting out was not milk and it, starved, poisoned and killed the calves.

dun":hzuncif4 said:
I'm curious. How long dies it take for a PI calf to die?

Some even reach maturity so the answer most likely isn't as simple, but I would definately take earnotches out of the entire calf crop and also the cow in question. Better to know and act on it than sit and wait hoping the problem goes away on its own.

dun":2yztgcrd said:
I'm curious. How long dies it take for a PI calf to die?

It varies a lot, some are aborted, some born dead, some are weak and die shortly after birth, some are poor doers that live, and some look just like normal cows and grow to maturity. There is a research farm somewhere up here in Canada that has some PI cows that are 7+ years old.

Latest posts