Dead Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

PINZ Farmer

Reaction score
Today i went down to my neighbors for chores and he told me he had a dead calf. now this calf was 5 days old, nursing and seemed fine. the only thing we can think of was that we tagged and gave a sellinium shot just the day before. do you think that had anything to do with it. this calving year is not exactly going good for this gentleman. thank you

joe

There could be any number of reason for the calf t die. From a reaction to the shot to being stepped on. A vet could probably do an autopsy and figure it out, but..........

dun

PINZ Farmer, Selenium is toxic if administered in excess. Could it be that you gave the calf MU-SE the more concentrated form for larger cattle instead of BO-SE for calves. Both bottles look alike and could easily be mistaken. I have put them back in the wrong box before. I always remember BO-SE ( B ) for baby and MU-SE ( M ) for mama. Thats how I keep from getting the two mixed up.

Rod

PINZ Farmer":200i4dm7 said:
Today i went down to my neighbors for chores and he told me he had a dead calf. now this calf was 5 days old, nursing and seemed fine. the only thing we can think of was that we tagged and gave a sellinium shot just the day before. do you think that had anything to do with it. this calving year is not exactly going good for this gentleman. thank you

joe

Was there a DIAGNOSIS of Selenium deficiency? If not, why was the shot given in the first place?

In areas like this (SE Nebraska) where selenium is lacking, it's common practice to give the calves a shot of selenium at birth, or at least during that first week.
The 2 calves that I just weaned off of the bottle are the first ones I've raised that weren't given selenium at birth, and while they appear healthy, they're not growing as fast.

Ann B

Running Arrow Bill":2lqbtqti said:
PINZ Farmer":2lqbtqti said:

joe

Was there a DIAGNOSIS of Selenium deficiency? If not, why was the shot given in the first place?

Just a suggestion Joe. Instead of giving selenium shots to the calves. Use a breeder type mineral that is high in selenium and you can do away with the shots. I am from SE nebraska were selenium deficiency is a problem and have never had to give any other than in the mineral.

Had a wreck last year at branding time because of selenium. All the calves get a selenium shot before they go to grass (we live in an area with very low selenium) as a way of giving them an extra boost for the summer.

Started to notice strange behaviour in one of the first bunch of calves that was processed: kept laying down, then wouldn't get up at all, was kicking at his neck, and within 40 minutes he was dead! I thought, 'What the hell? And by then we had moved onto the second batch of calves and noticed two more calves that wouldn't get up. Within the hour they had also died.

Well, I feeling pretty upset, you know, sleepness nights through calving season, treating calves that had got sick, getting slow goers sucking, all that jazz, and here three of my calves are mysteriously dead on branding day- two weeks before they go on grass! I was swearing off roping them, thought maybe they'd been handled too rough and stressed down, just basically pulling my hair trying to figure out what had happened.
One of my neighbours who had helped with the day felt so stumped about it that he mentioned it to his brother in law (a large animal vet) and he solved the mystery:

Turns out that one person on my ground crew hadn't been paying close enough attention to where the shot was being given. You see, we always like to give shots in the neck (in the triangle of it above the jugular groove and below the top of the neck), it's prevents developing abcesses in the more valuable meat of the hip. Well, apparently if you give a calf a shot of selenium in the jugular vein, the animal will be dead before you can withdraw the needle. What happened to my calves was that the shot was too close to the jugular, which was also fatal, just took the calves around 45-60 minutes to die from it.

An expensive lesson for me, as my entire income for a year is from my calves, and from what you posted, I'm kind of wondering it that didn't happen to you.

Take care.

Hey, i will say something to the old guy and that does sound like a possibility. that isroughly the same area that we give shots in so that could be. thanx

joe