Dead Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I found a calf dead today. One of my cow had a calf that looked a month old and was dead. What could of caused this? The cow looks healthy and fine. The calf was not really well cleaned and look good. However this cow is about 600lb and the sire was 1800lbs. I am just trying to figure what happen.

> I found a calf dead today. One of
> my cow had a calf that looked a
> month old and was dead. What could
> of caused this? The cow looks
> healthy and fine. The calf was not
> really well cleaned and look good.
> However this cow is about 600lb
> and the sire was 1800lbs. I am
> just trying to figure what happen.

Sorry about your calf but was that a typo error on the weight of the cow? Was she a heifer? Did you not find the calf until after a month? Sorry, but there isn't quite enough info to give you a shot in the dark answer....

[email protected]

I'll take a guess at this. I will assume that you mean the calf was LARGE for a newborn. If it was over 50#, a 600# cow would have had a very difficult time calving. Evidently you were not around during calving, so she probably needed help, and the calf died during delivery. I would consider getting larger cows or using miniature bulls. You must have known this was a potential problem, or you would not have mentioned that the cow was 600# & the bull was 1800#. Jeanne

Simme Valley in NY
[email protected]

I found her dead a few hours after the cow had calved. I knew the potential that the bull was too big, but I bought her bred up. She is just a small cow. I was around she just had the calf in an area I was not. I was in the field tilling it up. Around 4pm I saw the cow and she looked skinner so I went looking and found a dead calf. She has had a few calves and I was told she has never had a problem with calving before. Thanks

Latest posts