dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We heard the mother cow balling for her calf and went to check on it. The calf had been fine the day before. When I found it, it was standing in mud in a hollow. I got it out and to it's mother, but it acted dazed and didn't pay any attention to it's mother. It went to the other end of the pasture, and about 1 hour later I went back to check on it. The calf is about 250lbs. He was along the fence line going in circles, had some foam coming out of his mouth, and would ball every now and then. I went back and told my husband that we needed to pen him up, but by the time we got back to him a little later he was dead. Do you have any idea what was wrong with him? We had another calf that acted dazed when we put them over in this same pasture a couple days after we put them over there. He would grit his teeth and have a temperature in the evening and have a loud breathing at times. We thought maybe they are getting into something that they shouldn't over there, we just don't know what. The last calf made it but this one died quickly. Thanks, Carol

First thoughts are diptheria, poisioning, pneumonia . . . the only way to know for sure is to have a veterinarian do a post mortem exam on the calf as soon as possible. Or, better yet, have a vet examine a calf that's showing symptoms but is still alive.

> We heard the mother cow balling
> for her calf and went to check on
> it. The calf had been fine the day
> before. When I found it, it was
> standing in mud in a hollow. I got
> it out and to it's mother, but it
> acted dazed and didn't pay any
> attention to it's mother. It went
> to the other end of the pasture,
> and about 1 hour later I went back
> to check on it. The calf is about
> 250lbs. He was along the fence