Dead calf

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Found a 1 1/2 day old dead calf today. It appeared it had bled out through the umbilical cord. There wasn't a ton of blood but a fair amount. Is it possible it got stepped on or crushed somehow? I hate finding dead calves!

Timeline is about right for an umbilical tear causing the death. Might have just ripped off too close to the torso during calving. They often make it 12-36 hours in this condition.

I tagged and banded him yesterday and all seemed well. I don't normally use 7 percent tincture iodine but maybe I should start doing this regularly?

tncattle":a188zcd7 said:
I tagged and banded him yesterday and all seemed well. I don't normally use 7 percent tincture iodine but maybe I should start doing this regularly?

My vet's not a fan of that - says it doesn't do much. How would that have prevented a bleed out?

Horrible thing to find...

I had one a couple years ago. Tore close to body and steady drip. Lucky I caught it. I put a band on it and crossed fingers. It never did fully heal over until about 6 months of age. Even at 4 months, there was a raw umbilical stub - thankfully a fall calf, so no flies.

angus9259":n5mo5wc6 said:
tncattle":n5mo5wc6 said:

My vet's not a fan of that - says it doesn't do much. How would that have prevented a bleed out?

Why is your vet not a fan of Iodine?

tncattle":30doin1g said:
angus9259":30doin1g said:
tncattle":30doin1g said:

It's does little more than temporarily sterilize it. Does not stop bleeding especially if it is severe.

TexasBred":39tm1svw said:
tncattle":39tm1svw said:
angus9259":39tm1svw said:

It's does little more than temporarily sterilize it. Does not stop bleeding especially if it is severe.

And - according to him - the concentration is so low that it isn't even much of a temporary sterilization either. According to him, the cord stays open so long you need to repeat a couple of times within the 24 hour or so period if you really want to make sure nothing is getting in....

bball":1yy7jd2s said:
Anyone ever attempt to cauterize a slow bleeder?

I didn't have the tools with me. I crimped off what was there and pinched it with a band.

angus9259":37tngrfz said:
TexasBred":37tngrfz said:
tncattle":37tngrfz said:

And - according to him - the concentration is so low that it isn't even much of a temporary sterilization either. According to him, the cord stays open so long you need to repeat a couple of times within the 24 hour or so period if you really want to make sure nothing is getting in....

He's probably exactly right. But here's my :2cents: I spray the navel with peroxide. I can see it working (some times more than others). Then I spray with Triodyne 7. My thinking is that while it may not be 100% effective in accomplishing my goal, it most certainly isn't hurting anything. And I haven't had a swollen navel on a calf in two years since I started doing this. Luck? Maybe. But like I said isn't not hurting anything and it's inexpensive. But it probably wouldn't have helped your calf bc of the bleeding, other than getting you close enough that you may recognize a problem that you otherwise may have not noticed.