dead calf weid

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
ok now this is just to weird.found a dead calf today.now this is the weird part the caf has 1 eye out found it laying by the dead calf.now theres no blood at all on the calf or ground.just a dead calf with an eye out.could a calf getting an eye knocked drop dead from losing the eye.was a 350lb bull calf.any ideas this one has me stumped.

I guess if something could knock it in the head hard enough to pop out an eye, that blow to the head could kill it.

You are right...weird...

Alice

yes its way weird because if calves was just fighting.but there was no blood at all on the calf or the ground.an i dont think he could take a horn in the eye an kill it.an i dont think the big herd bull could hit the calf that hard in the head.

nope dont think that was it.no buzzards around the calf at all.not flying around or on the ground.other than the eye calf not touched at all.

That is pretty weird, but bovines have pretty tough hides - they can take a pretty hard slam and not bleed externally at all. One eye popping out is pretty odd, though! Was it completely detached or was there some tissue still connected?

the eye was completely detached an laying on the ground by the calf.this 1 really has me stumped.ive never see nothing like it before.

Have you heard of the cattle abductions by aliens? :shock: :D

sizmic":i9ad9txp said:
Have you heard of the cattle abductions by aliens? :shock: :D

Who hasn't...however, it wasn't abducted...so....what's your best guess? :)

Alice

Bigbull, have you heard any early on deer hunters?

Alice

That is VERY strange. I can't imagine a blow to the head could do that, especially with no blood anywhere.

Where's Vicki when you need her?

bigbull338":1egalxsp said:
the eye was completely detached an laying on the ground by the calf.this 1 really has me stumped.ive never see nothing like it before.

He was attacked by a Hereford with pink eye who ran before he could take his new eye with him ?

I've seen cattle with prolapsed eyes. One had eaten toxins and seizured, smashing the skull and popping out the eye. There was blood. Another was shot thru the eye socket, popped it out. There was blood. I cannot come up with any scenario where the eye is popped and no blood.

For me, no blood = post mortem change.

Whether you see birds or not, that is likely the source of the act.

JMO

V

deer season opened here sat morning.being shot was my first thought.but i really dont see how they could shoot his eye out.the bottomline is its a weird death.

The death and the eye may be two unrelated events. There has to be a cause of the sudden death...toxins, disease, hunters. The eye thing could be crows, or buzzards or creepy teenagers.

I feel for you, this is very disturbing.

yes because it was a healthy calf.but with cattle youll see everything sooner or later.

Sorry, for your loss bigbull. I read this last night and still could not think of what cause it. I'm leaning more to what fourstates thinks. It would seem to me if there was no blood. The eye came out, was removed or what ever after it was dead.
This is a very strange case.

My quess to the eye is buzzard also picked it then dropped it as you approached. Wasn't Halloween was it?
Cause of death is a tuff one.
I have two mystery calve deaths of my own to solve.
I have had two three day to 1 week olds that I have found dead in the last three weeks also a two month old, one Sunday.
No marks, No Trauma, Healty cows that have never lost one.
Up and nursing with moma one day found dead the next?
The only blood I seen was a little in the nose and no marks.

Had visiters last night strapped on the leather & chased them off. herd um as they hit the metel panel gate leaving in a hurry exspect foul play. Just can't fiqure it out. Good Luck