Dead Buck

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
DSC02251copy.jpg
DSC02252copy.jpg

DSC02253copy.jpg

rubbuck.jpg

I looked all over the site listed on the pictures and couldn't find that one. I was hopeing there was an off the wall story that went with the pictures.

Wonder where they are that the buck just decomposed and was not cleaned up by predators.

certherfbeef":3vkznnhr said:
I looked all over the site listed on the pictures and couldn't find that one. I was hopeing there was an off the wall story that went with the pictures.

Wonder where they are that the buck just decomposed and was not cleaned up by predators.

I wondered and searched also....

teletigger":2ubyxm4s said:
You think the buck got his antlers caught in the tree? Marks on the tree would indicate that. What do you think Mitch?
regards

I think a buck was rubbing on a tree and got stuck and died. The pic's tell an amazing story in themselves. Much better than I just did. I got your point teletigger and removed the pic's.....

I didn't get to see the pics. Why did you remove them? Overly graphic??? I'd like to see them in a pm if you don't want to put them on the board.

teletigger, do you think those bucks are in a fenced area? That is my only guess as to why he decomposed. I would also think that if the buzzards were around you would have been able to see evidence of that...which I didn't.

Lots of hunting resorts in SE ohio. Some are fenced. Only predators in the fence are ones that can carry a shotun.

teletigger":28v2i4xu said:
Your pictures weren't too graphic to be shown on this board Mitch.
I just wanted an explaination. I think the lack of predator/scavenger marks is worth discussing. Others on this board know much more about this subject than me.
Now I want an answer. :D
regards

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.... but like I had originally posted, I received them in an email. I don't know any more than that. From going to their site that was on the pic, they run hunts in Texas. Not knowing if this even happened on their place....

I saw one hung in a woven wire fence at about 6am one morning about 10 years ago.. I thought about stopping to help him, but then I remembered that I wasn't stupid.

I also heard a story once about a guy who took a buck that was dragging another dead buck around by the antlers.. Seems they locked up, couldn't get unlocked, one died, and that was the ballgame.

I guess when you walk around with big pointy things sticking way up off your head like that, such things are going to happen on occasion.

Neat pictures! Sad, but neat.

I have seen this only once before and not a buck with such a nice rack. As you can see in the pics he was tending to his rub line see the next few trees are rubbed much the same. The one I know of got his horn stuck and starved to death. I am sure you are right about the high fence he was probably in a hunt resort.
Thanks for the pics.

There was a similar incident a few years back where a buck got himself tangled in the exposed roots of a dead tree, on the edge of a lake. His rack was not quite as big. It looked just about the same as those pics, although I didn't have a camara.

Deer are very prone to shock.

Once came upon one that had got it's hind leg caught in a vine. Leery of my chances to free him without getting the snot kicked out of me, I passed by. Later the same afternoon, went back and the buck was dead. A vet friend of mine explained.

i've seen plenty of deer get their hind legs caught in the fence here...usually just walk by and find the hind legs hanging from the fence and the rest of the body gone...aint found many bucks though

Fascinating pictures! I found one this spring, might have been a young doe, hung up by her back legs in the fence. She'd been dead for a month or two, but not decomposed due to the snow and our predator population is extremely low. I can count on one hand the number of coyotes I've seen, ever, and can't recall the last time I saw a fox. Anyways, couldn't even get this deer out of the fence to drag her away - wasn't sure I wanted the cows over there - but couldn't lift her out. Think the birds and my dawgs took care of the carcass as I don't recall seeing it last time I was up that way.

looks like he got cleaned up pretty well to me other than the back legs.

we lost a heifer one time that got stuck in a tree like that while i was gone to college and nobody was checking on the cows close enough. ive saved two others that i found like that, one just a few months ago. (except their heads were caught in V's, not horns)

Latest posts