Dead Birds?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
Been finding dead birds around the yard. Mostly small shiny black birds (don't know what they are called) and a couple of others. Probably a dozen or so in the last few weeks. Have plenty of cardinals around and have not seen any dead ones.

Sprayed 2-4-D a few weeks ago in the pastures. Haven't seen any dead birds in the pastures, but haven't looked real hard either, so who knows.

Wondering if the spray has anything to do with it?

We are in SW TN if that helps at all.

robertwhite

Cut one open and tell me if you find corn particles in its stomach and I will tell you what is killing them.
MW

medicinewoman":2txg08en said:
Cut one open and tell me if you find corn particles in its stomach and I will tell you what is killing them.
MW

So if I find it its of corn, what would it be and why all of the sudden?

If you find corn, there is a good possibility someone in your area is feeding ethanol corn gluten in their bird feed, or as a post emergent herbicide or to their cattle, dogs or horses. Not to mention aquatic life.

It is a long well known and documented fact that ethanol corn gluten is dangerously high in sulfur, even for cattle. If those ingesting it do not die of toxic poisoning their immune system is so compromised they die of something else.

It seems the only people who don't know this are those who are selling the feeds containing it.
MW

medicinewoman":icf038sp said:
If you find corn, there is a good possibility someone in your area is feeding ethanol corn gluten in their bird feed, or as a post emergent herbicide or to their cattle, dogs or horses. Not to mention aquatic life.

It is a long well known and documented fact that ethanol corn gluten is dangerously high in sulfur, even for cattle. If those ingesting it do not die of toxic poisoning their immune system is so compromised they die of something else.

It seems the only people who don't know this are those who are selling the feeds containing it.MW

why does this not surprise me? thanx for the info.....

it could well be from treated corn seed. Seed should be planted into the ground, and not left on the surface where birds can easily get at it. If for no other reason than it costs money. But then there are a lot of people who do not care about what they are doing so much.

medicinewoman":1knjhsis said:

It seems the only people who don't know this are those who are selling the feeds containing it.
MW
No toxic effects have been identified in mammals, birds, or fish. In fact, corn gluten meal is commonly used in feed for cattle, fish, poultry, pets, and other animals. No harmful effects are expected if users follow the application rates and use directions on the label.

Or a deer feeder.
But go ahead and check their stomach robertwhite.
You'll find a sort of mash that doesn't look like anything. But if you want to find out what they were eating check their crop. I believe all birds have one

1wlimo":66r28462 said:
it could well be from treated corn seed. Seed should be planted into the ground, and not left on the surface where birds can easily get at it. If for no other reason than it costs money. But then there are a lot of people who do not care about what they are doing so much.

Wait a minute.......... Corn seed as in corn seed that farmers plant for crop? If so, that is very likely the problem. My place is surrounded by hundreds of acres of crop land. For the last several years, the farmer has planted soy beans, this year he planted corn. From what I understand, most seeds these days are treated with various products to ensure growth and disease resistance. It is very feasible that birds were in the fields picking at the corn seed.

robertwhite

Said:
Mostly small shiny black birds
If the birds are large enough to swallow a kernel of seed corn, then yes, seed corn or seed soybean could be the cause.
If not, then it must be something else.
Open one up and see if you find corn kernels or whole soybeans. Check in the gizzard.
MW

It kinda sounds like purple martins or chimney swifts . Which neither eat seed . I wouldn't mess with them . Might have a disease you can catch . Pick them up with a shovel and dispose of them.

My guess would be if you cut one you will find a bb from a son/grandson/neighbors pellet gun, it's warming up and kids are out there with their Christmas presents practicing their sharpshooter skills. I've seen this myself at my place!!!

Kscattle":1p1esop7 said:
My guess would be if you cut one you will find a bb from a son/grandson/neighbors pellet gun, it's warming up and kids are out there with their Christmas presents practicing their sharpshooter skills. I've seen this myself at my place!!!

Nope. No injuries, no kids around and closest neighbors are 1/3 mile away. It is definitely food or pesticide/herbicide related.

robertwhite":azmgvifa said:
Kscattle":azmgvifa said:

Nope. No injuries, no kids around and closest neighbors are 1/3 mile away. It is definitely food or pesticide/herbicide related.
Birds die of diseases as well. Have you found any more?

Latest posts