de-worming???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

When is the best time to de-worm my herd? I've heard that you should after the first frost in the Fall, but I usually wait until the grass starts growing good in the Spring. Also, what is the best type of de-wormer to use? I don't have good catching facilities, so I've been using the wormer blocks, but some of the cows won't eat it. I've heard that Safeguard makes a de-wormer in a range cube, but I haven't checked with the feed store yet to see if they carry it. Has anybody had any experience with this product? Thanks for any info.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

Don't know if they make one in cubes or not, they do make one in pellets, comes in 25#bags,have used it a few times when I didn't want to catch them and use a pour on.Don't really like it as much as a good injectable or pour on though.<br>I usually worm when I think the cattle need it,especially in the younger cattle(stocker).<br>
<br>

[email protected]

I believe the rationale behind worming after the first frost in the fall is to kill liver flukes with injectable Ivomec Plus. After the first hard frost, the snail that is the vector for the liver fluke is no longer active.<p>I worm with Ivomec Plus injectable in Nov. or December, and again with Ivomec Pour-on around May. You can worm only once a year, but your animals will do much better and will need less feed if you worm twice a year. <p>If you don't have a good squeeze chute, ask your veternarian if you can use his/hers after hours. I buy my worming medications from my veterinarian and then use his chute after hours or on the weekend, with his permission.<br>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.murraygrey.com">Rafter L Murray Greys</a></ul>

[email protected]

My vet recommends both spring and fall. After the first hard frost and about 2 weeks after they go on pasture in the spring. We show also, so we have started doing them after each show as well.Our experience is that pour-ons and injectables are a better value. We know then that each animal has been done at the right dose. It just is more cost effective for us.<br>Janet
<br>

[email protected]

Janet, what wormer do you use? Also, do you worm cows, calves, or both?
<br>

We were using Ivomec pour-on but we used Eprinex pour-on this year after the vet talked us into trying it. We do both the cows and calves. The advantage to the Eprinex to us is that it's clear..that comes in handy when showing.<br>Janet
<br>

[email protected]

Hi Janet<br>How does the cost of Eprinex compare to Ivomec?<br>Lisa<p>: We were using Ivomec pour-on but we used Eprinex pour-on this year after the vet talked us into trying it. We do both the cows and calves. The advantage to the Eprinex to us is that it's clear..that comes in handy when showing.<br>: Janet<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Eprinex is a bit more expensive. A 1 litre bottle cost me $197 CAN this year. I'm not sure what the US price is...<br>Janet
<br>

[email protected]

We use the Eprinex also. We pour our cows in the late fall. Does a good job on the lice. <br>
<br>

Isn't Eprinex made by the same folks as Ivomec..newer, improved version? We switched to Cydectin 3 years ago and are extremely happy with it. It isn't clear, however..but purple. It has quite a few advantages over Ivomec. Zero withdrawal for beef cattle slaughter; the base is peanut oil and will not wash off and it is not toxic to dung beetles, which are very beneficial if you're lucky enough to have them. Ivomec will wipe them out quickly. It also controls several more internal and external parasites than Ivomec and lasts longer and is cheaper. My vet switched to it for his own cows after I told him about it.<br>: We were using Ivomec pour-on but we used Eprinex pour-on this year after the vet talked us into trying it. We do both the cows and calves. The advantage to the Eprinex to us is that it's clear..that comes in handy when showing.<br>: Janet<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Eprinex is made by Ivomec Pat. It's marketed around here more for dairy cattle as there is no withdrawl for milk or beef. It's weather-proof as well as lower dose than Ivomec. It's more expensive to buy, but with the lower dose it's actually a bit cheaper to use. Eprinex can even be used on deer..(thinking of trying to Eprinex a wild deer and laughing hysterically!)<br>Janet
<br>

[email protected]

worm once in the spring once in the fall. switch products anually so external and internal parasites do not build an immune system for one isolated product.<br>usually do not need to do calves at mothers side. usually worm those at weaning or 2-4 weeks prior to weaning for best results.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts