de-worming mature cows

Help Support CattleToday:

mtncows

Reaction score
For many years,we have de-wormed our cows at spring calf working and in the fall .Also get calves in the summer.I have heard that a mature cow has "immunity "to worms.My thoughts were if she has worms in her she is producing worm eggs and infecxting the pasture.Does the cow still carry worms or does she have an enzyme which kills them?I don't mind spending $1 to make $1.10 but at $3 + a head its expensive if I don't need it.

we havent wormed the cows in years.they say mature cows arnt bothered by worms that much.now a cow can get wormy.an if that happens the go is wormed.since you worm 2 or 3x a year.you shouldnt have any probs with wormy cows.

We worm twice a year basicly to keep the worm and egg load down in the pastures for the younger cows and the calves.

We deworm in spring and fall. Have been rotating a good name-brand in the spring (Eprinex, Dectomax, etc) and using a generic ivermectin in the fall, both pour-ons. Seems to be working, although I've been considering using an injectable in place of the spring dose but haven't bit the bullet yet. Of all the places I'll consider cutting costs, deworming is near the bottom of the list.