• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

De-Wormers: Read The Label!

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Just for everyone's information (if you already don't know)--this is not medical advice--consult your Vet.

We have been using "Strongid" paste de-wormer for our pregnant mares. The "generic" name (not to be confused with "Generic, no name products" is Pyrantel pamoate. The concentration of Pyrantel pamoate is 43.9%. We were paying about $9.00 for the "Strongid" brand. Then we switched to "Exodus" for about $4.00 a tube. Same product, different brand name.

The same issue is with the "Ivermectin" (1.87%). Depending on brand name, this can vary between about $3.95 and 8.95 per tube.

This is the same issue as that we all know for human aspirin: "Bayer" vs. "Store Brand"--same chemical compound. Depends on how much advertising you want pay for!

Bottom line: If the ingredients are the same, go for the less expensive product. :D

Terri

Reaction score
Always do but thanks for the advice. The less I spend on stuff the more I can spend on more stuff.

A

Anonymous

Your mostly right on, but you want to make sure the strength of all components are the same as the major brand name. Some copy cats change a small ingredients or the strength levels of the major ingredient, because of patent rights. For example we almost lost a cat to a major store name flea product, Vet said we did everything right but the product makes a percentage of cats sick or kills them....Read the label completely, there is usally a reason it's a copy cat product.

My opinion,
Alan

Latest posts