De Wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Was over at the local TSC (Tractor Supply) the other day and saw a 25 lb. box "block" of "De Wormer". Said was good for 1-12 head of cattle. Brand was Safe Guard. I 'm sure this has been out for sometime but never notice it before. Appeared to be a demand for it, because the store had a whole pallet of it.
Has anyone used it or know of the product ?
Always something new. Then again this want be the first thing I have missed.

Difficult ot properly and effectively dose wormers by free choice. Probably better than nothing, but pour ons and injectables are the way to go.

The problem with blocks is that some cattle will get enough to do the job, some will get more then needed, some won't get enough. The same applies to mineral blocks. Salt blocks seem to work ok, but the other block forms of anything seem to be a shot in the dark solution, and it may not work anyway.

dun

Shepard":1qvt4888 said:
Was over at the local TSC (Tractor Supply) the other day and saw a 25 lb. box "block" of "De Wormer". Said was good for 1-12 head of cattle. Brand was Safe Guard. I 'm sure this has been out for sometime but never notice it before. Appeared to be a demand for it, because the store had a whole pallet of it.

I 'll just stick with the old pour on to be safe. Your right about the salt/min blocks. The last one I put out, maybe half was used, the other washed through the cracks.
Was just trying to slow down on some of the work. Never really an easy way.
Reminds me of the 9 month old heifer(yesterday). Had her in the head gate to tatto her ears and put her a new tag on. I thought she was going to burst my ear drumbs. Was she ever excited. I think she must of remember the last time she was in the head gate. My ears are still ringing. Just a little humor.

They work pretty good but stick to pour-ons and injectables, because you know they are getting dewormed when they have it free choice they might not be gettting enough or the right dosage.
Ellie May

Shepard":61rk8mj9 said:

This is beside the point but Tractor Supply is useless unless you are a city person who doesnt know any better. This is no lie, God's honest truth: my cousin went to TSC to find a part for a broken PTO shaft (which the did not have) and the sales person actually told him that they were "limited on tractor supplies." Are you kiddin me? The name of the store is tractor supply!!!

NCSU Maverick":1gnzpayp said:
Shepard":1gnzpayp said:

This is beside the point but Tractor Supply is useless unless you are a city person who doesnt know any better. This is no lie, God's honest truth: my cousin went to TSC to find a part for a broken PTO shaft (which the did not have) and the sales person actually told him that they were "limited on tractor supplies." Are you kiddin me? The name of the store is tractor supply!!!

Joke at best the store was set up for people that are all hat and no cattle.

Must mean some of you do not have stock in the TSC operation. Each his own.
In our area, the employees are farmers,ranchers(not referring to the check-out folks). The Mgr. and his two helpers run upwards of 300 head. So when we go to TSC with a problem, we go right to the experience. When they cannot give a sound ans., they send us next door to the local Vet or they will go with us to help explain. Nothing like human contact to solve a problem.
Don't wear those hats, like their work boots. Nothing like a good pair of work boots to make the day go better.
Well back to work.

I'm pretty disappointed with ours also. They do carry a lot of supplies which are usefull, but the help is a waste of payroll. Most of the time I do a better job of finding something myself than asking for it and getting that ignorant blank look.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but I was satisfied with most of the TSC stores I visited in Texas. I trade at the one in Waco all the time. From what I understand, it has more sales than any other TSC in the USA. I usually know what I am after when I go in and have compared prices to other stores beforehand. I bought most of my 20% range cubes there over the winter because they were cheaper than any other feed store around here.

Don't know why one would say "the store was set up for people that are all hat and no cattle." , but each to there own.

Hey, I even bought my wife's Christmas present there, a Montana Silversmith Bracelet!

I've never had any problem with TSC either. They are a little less expensive on most feeds, have most of the thngs I need to take care of my cows, and I don't expect the kids working there to know everything about the farm/ranch business. its kinda like Home Depot, I shop for the prices, but I usually know what i want when I go in there and know how to use it before I buy it.
And TSC's hours are more convienent than the local feed store for me, since I don't get home until after 6 most days and the local feed store closes at noon on Saturday. To each his own I guess.
Also, I tried the deworming pellets a few weeks ago, I mixed them in with some corn and the cows appeared to eat them right up. I dont have a chute set up, so pouring on & injecting aren't an option for me at this time

eric":48nznwof said:
I dont have a chute set up, so pouring on & injecting aren't an option for me at this time

If you can get them loaded in a trailer, such as Gooseneck brand with no tarp on top, you can pour on wormer, ear tag, and other things by standing on the side of the trailer and reaching over. Works the best if you have a full load, that way the cattle can't move around very much.

I'm OK with the TSC store when I know what I need. Getting good advise from the help is hit or miss. I also like their hours. I don't buy any feed there but they do carry a lot of stuff that I need. I buy most of my fencing material and gates there due their lower price. Also, TXBobcat, I'm sure that you don't need me to tell you, but be real careful reaching into that trailer. Sounds like you could use a chute and headgate setup.

Hawk":1ti3lnpp said:
Also, TXBobcat, I'm sure that you don't need me to tell you, but be real careful reaching into that trailer. Sounds like you could use a chute and headgate setup.

I know what you mean. It's pretty easy to slip and fall or get you arm smashed while trying to mess with cows from the top of a trailer. I have only helped someone who used a trailer on occasion for tagging and such. Personally, I would rather work cattle from a chute and headgate. Much more control that way.

You can also make a portable alleyway with 6-8 pipe corral panels. Walk them in one at a time. Do the first one, then leaving it closedmove the next one in behind, etc. We've bred large groups of cows that way with no headgate, just the alleyway. When we give the calves their boosters we run them all in the alleyway and just reach down from over the top and vaccinate them.

dun

Hawk":gwva5u8w said:
I'm OK with the TSC store when I know what I need. Getting good advise from the help is hit or miss. I also like their hours. I don't buy any feed there but they do carry a lot of stuff that I need. I buy most of my fencing material and gates there due their lower price. Also, TXBobcat, I'm sure that you don't need me to tell you, but be real careful reaching into that trailer. Sounds like you could use a chute and headgate setup.

Accident looking for a spot to happen. Anyone running cattle should make a quality pen and chute system a priority. You havent seen a broke arm or leg yet. Trust me a broken ankle is no fun. The day you think your faster or smarter you are going to get hurt. I never work a cow in the pen that I am not behind a gate. Now I have good gentle cows but any cow can blow up. I don't have the luxury of help and working cattle by yourself safety has to be number one.

SAFE GUARD BLOCKS ARE INEXPENSIVE AND INEFECTIVE. THE SAFE GUARD PELLETS COST MORE AND ARE A BETTER WAY TO GET EFFECTIVE CONSUMPTION LEVELS THROUGHOUT YOUR HERD. WORKS GOOD REPEAT 30 DAYS LATER DURING PEAK WORM SEASON. INJECTABLES ARE STILL MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE, BUT PELLETS MIXED WITH FEED WILL GET WORM LEVELS DOWN BETTER THAN UNTREATED.

Latest posts