De-silking sweet corn

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Has anyone got any suggestions to remove silks from ear corn that is easier than the little brush and handpicking.

If you are going to serve corn on the cob I don't know an easier way than the hand brush but if you are going to process nibblet corn or cream corn I use a reversable drill. It will take you a little time to build your setup but once its made it will last forever. What you do is take a 5" wood screw and remove its head. Best is to also tac weld a small washer just under where the threads start but this isn't neccessary but you will understand why later if you don't do it. But its no big problem - I'm just lazy. This "bit" is then drilled into the cob and you can then insert the cob into a piece of 4" pvc pipe that you have bolted a brush on the inside. Tube is mounted to a table at a 45 degree angle. Insert the corn into tube and turn the drill on. (best results with fairly dry ears) In 2-3 seconds the silts will be removed. Once removed, stick it into another piece of pvc that you have mounted some blades or some type abrasion rig on it and and turn drill on again to cream corn. Or, you can by one of those ring cob cutters and mount this inside the pvc and you will have nibblets. BTW - with the tube mounted at a 45 you put your basin on the downhill side and catch all the corn. The pvc keeps the stuff from slinging all over the place and serves as a funnel. My son and I did 32 quarts in less than three hours which included bagging and cleanup. Hope this makes sense.

Jogeephus":36v05vx1 said:
If you are going to serve corn on the cob I don't know an easier way than the hand brush but if you are going to process nibblet corn or cream corn I use a reversable drill. It will take you a little time to build your setup but once its made it will last forever. What you do is take a 5" wood screw and remove its head. Best is to also tac weld a small washer just under where the threads start but this isn't neccessary but you will understand why later if you don't do it. But its no big problem - I'm just lazy. This "bit" is then drilled into the cob and you can then insert the cob into a piece of 4" pvc pipe that you have bolted a brush on the inside. Tube is mounted to a table at a 45 degree angle. Insert the corn into tube and turn the drill on. (best results with fairly dry ears) In 2-3 seconds the silts will be removed. Once removed, stick it into another piece of pvc that you have mounted some blades or some type abrasion rig on it and and turn drill on again to cream corn. Or, you can by one of those ring cob cutters and mount this inside the pvc and you will have nibblets. BTW - with the tube mounted at a 45 you put your basin on the downhill side and catch all the corn. The pvc keeps the stuff from slinging all over the place and serves as a funnel. My son and I did 32 quarts in less than three hours which included bagging and cleanup. Hope this makes sense.

Same here. You can process some corn with this outfit!

Jogeephus":113owymm said:

Sorry, I can't grasp this setup via text. :dunce: Need a pic.......

hurleyjd":33k0az3z said:
http://www.leemfgco.com/corn.asp
Try this website to see the setup Joe is describing. I bought a pea sheller from them last year. Sure saved the old thumbnails

That's it. Simple isn't it. Works great too.

I have found out after lots of years of observation that. A woman's hands, small fingers and better finger nails are much better at de-silking the sweet corn. A mans fingers on the other hand :???: with the bigger size and all are better suited for grasping a beer bottle. :compute: