de-horning question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Instead of de-horning, can I cut just the tip of the horns off (say 1 or 2 inches from 8 inch horns) of a 15 month old calf without causing it to bleed or hurt the calf? What would be the best way/tool to do this? My restraining facilities are not the best, so what ever method I use would have to be a fairly quick operation. Thanks for any info.

they make a combination tool for cutting the horns off or just tipping them. I usually just tip them. It might bleed a little but nothing like if you were to cut the horns completely off. Plus with tipping, you really don't have to worry about infection.

> Why not call your vet, have your animal sedated and get the horns at the root? Once your animal is under the influence you really don't need to have good restraining facilities and you can assure yourself that the horns are gone for good!

[email protected]

I am like you, I don't have the proper chute for de-horning so I loaded three heifers and took them to my vet. He charged $6 a head to de-horn. Well worth the cost and being assured they were properly handled and I didn't have to worry about any problems.
> Instead of de-horning, can I cut
> just the tip of the horns off (say
> 1 or 2 inches from 8 inch horns)
> of a 15 month old calf without
> causing it to bleed or hurt the
> calf? What would be the best
> way/tool to do this? My
> restraining facilities are not the
> best, so what ever method I use
> would have to be a fairly quick
> operation. Thanks for any info.

[email protected]

> Instead of de-horning, can I cut
> just the tip of the horns off (say
> 1 or 2 inches from 8 inch horns)
> of a 15 month old calf without
> causing it to bleed or hurt the
> calf? What would be the best
> way/tool to do this? My
> restraining facilities are not the
> best, so what ever method I use
> would have to be a fairly quick
> operation. Thanks for any info.

Have you ever heard of a wire saw? Its a piece of wire loaded with edges and two handles I can take a horn off in two minutes little or no blood and ono stress on the animal I have done a 2300 lb limo bull without a chute. so take off the entire horn or wish you had later (a blunt horn hurts like hell) regards Art (redcountry farms)

[email protected]

Latest posts