De-horning paste

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I read in a book where they recommend using de-horning paste on calves. I have used it on goats before and was pleased with the results. Mostly with much less trauma, on the goats and me too. I didn't have any scurs to form afterwards. I didn't have any trouble with it getting in their eyes. Does anyone else use it? Chuckie

Never used it. Dehorn the old fahioned, and bloody way (unless we hit the "signs"right :p ) when necessary. Actually prefer breeding polled (or mulies or buttheads).

I would like to hear from folks that have used the paste also. I read that it works well but haven't actually seen the results. In the article I read they stated that they put duct tape over the paste so that it didn't get on udders etc. and that once the tape wore off the paste had done it's job.

I've used the paste on some of my bottle calves. Sometimes it works really well on one group and all the horns are gone, sometimes I end up with a calf (or two) that still has horns, or just has one short one.

With the four 6 wk old calves I have now, one is completely dehorned for sure, some of the others may or may not be...I either need to redo the job or just wait and chop 'em off later. If I suspect a calf still has horns, I do like to wait a little while to make sure, because a time or two I've been ready to put more paste on, touched the horn buds, and they flaked off. Depending on the paste it will sometimes take a few weeks to know if the horns are gone or not. According to the directions, you should only have to treat them once, but it doesn't always work that way.

I like the idea of using duct tape; haven't tried that before.

I used it for about 2 years with clear packing tape. About 90% of the calves were dehorned well, the others needed to be redone with gougers. Also have some neighbours who have cow-calf (I'm dairy) and they can't keep tape on the horns so when they used paste they had trouble with it running, some calves blinded and a couple that actually had holes burned into their skulls to reveal brain matter. None of us use it anymore, too much of a pain. I use Lidocaine and a Rhinehart electric dehorner with the insert at about 6 weeks old, takes 10 minutes and it's done right the first time.

I can't imagine it running down the face since it is extremely thick. Sounds like they used it like wall paper paste. It was thick as toothpaste with a thicker sticking consistency. You must be careful when using it. If you aren't good with small details, get your wife to do it if she paints her fingernails!
I used it on the goats only when I could feel a horn developing. It was just a rise from the skull or a button. It had not become a horn yet. Seems if you were to wait till it was a small horn, it would be less likely to work. I didn't use any tape on the goats and I didn't have any trouble with it hurting the does. With goats, you are able to pet them and you can feel their heads at anytime to see if they are sprouting horns. On calves, it is a bit different. I am not exactly sure at what point you could feel a horn button on a calf. I started using the de-horning paste when the vet heated up the head of one of my goats and it died. He said he had put it to sleep to do it and it had a re-action. I doubted that he put it to sleep for this procedure. I noticed he didn't put the bucks to sleep when he clamped them.

When I was a kid, no it wasn't before electricity, my parents used the paste. They switched over to an electric disbudding iron and were much happier with the results.

dun

We have used the paste on bottle calves we have raised with really good success.

bww":emm4xl7d said:
Hello, does every calf have to be dehorned hiefer and bulls?

Yes, both heifers and bulls need it, but only if they're horned. Polled calves don't.

dun

I've heard horror stories about using the paste as well.. primarily getting the paste off the horn buds and onto cows, eyes, etc.

If you can keep the duct tape on it sounds like that might work. In my opinion a Buddex or hot iron when they are still young is quicker and less painful.

Latest posts