DDh

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
My sunday school teacher/mentor/rancher/friend has this stuff he calls DDH i looks like corn ground up and is the left over of a brewery...Well he said that it has 24% protein and 10% fat what i feed has 12% protein and i dont know how much fat..Well i by my feed its ware millings brand for 5.50 per 50 lbs this guy with the DDH said he could sell for 6.00 per 100lbs but i was wondering if this was a good deal on this i have never dealt wth this stuff before.It will be what i feed in the winter

Distiller's Grain Product - comes in three 'grades' from the ethanol plant here, based on moisture content:
Dry(max moisture content 12%, 27.5%CP/6.5% fat) - current price at the plant = $125/T
Modified(max moisture content 50%, 15%CP/3.5%fat) - current price = $68/T
Wet (68% moisture, 10%CP/2.2%fat) - current price = $51/T

We've limit-fed 6-12# MDG/hd/day to our beef herd for the past 3 winters - after they eat ~10# hay/hd. They want more, but that's all they get, and they've come through the winters in far better condition than they did when they got free choice access to all the crappy locally-produced overmature hay they could eat(and nothing more).
We buy the Modified Distiller's Grain product - but some days when the farm manager goes to pick up a load at the plant, they have excess dry DDG on hand that they load out for her at the Modified price.
Cows eat it well. They tend to drop/spill/waste more when it's really dry stuff, and if it's a really windy day, some blows out of the feed bunks while you're putting it out.

Latest posts