Daytona 500

Help Support CattleToday:

Didn't get a chance to watch any of it today... It was beautiful weather and after church decided to get some fence rows cleaned up.

Flipped on for less than a lap today. First time in probably 25 years i didn't at least watch a good part of it. Its just hard to get interested any more.

TN Cattle Man":1aak467s said:
Didn't get a chance to watch any of it today... It was beautiful weather and after church decided to get some fence rows cleaned up.
Watched the last 20 laps. Enjoyed to outcome.
It does say something about the huge mistake Stewart Haas made on switching to Fords.

Caustic Burno":2e5hclzp said:
What is the allure NASCAR as I truly don't get it. Watching cars run around in an oval.

Never got in to NASCAR. My family was into sprint cars, Indy cars. My uncle built and drove his own. This was back in the 60's-early 70's, when a talented and determined young man, with friends and family who were gearheads and precision machinists, could respectably hold their own (not win). He (and later, after his eyes got bad, his driver) raced against AJ Foyt, Al Unser (Sr), Gary Bettenhausen, and a whole bunch more I'm forgetting. He and his buddies would work all day at their jobs, then all night in my grandparents' garage to get the car ready for a race. Night before a race, to test it they'd fire it up in the wee hours of the night and go flying down the hilly, curvy country road. Most of the neighbors were on the crew so no one complained.
First race I went to (about age 10 or 11) a rookie from Pa hit the wall right near me and died. It was his first race, and mine (as a spectator).
I still remember the smell of the fuel. Has a very specific smell--high alcohol?

CB, can;t really say. Why does some like blonds and others red heads. I used to enjoy it much more than lately. Too gimmicky now for my taste. Not much different than baseball or football. If you need the why explained you'll never understand.

dun":3uula3zi said:
CB, can;t really say. Why does some like blonds and others red heads. I used to enjoy it much more than lately. Too gimmicky now for my taste. Not much different than baseball or football. If you need the why explained you'll never understand.

I get it as a participation sport just not spectator.
I loved to play baseball and did into my twenties but watching it on TV is almost like watching paint dry.

Caustic Burno":19tfyb1v said:
dun":19tfyb1v said:

I get it as a participation sport just not spectator.
I loved to play baseball and did into my twenties but watching it on TV is almost like watching paint dry.
I'ld rather watch paint dry. Maybe because in younger years I did the participate part is why I still enjoy racing. Although I also participated in baseball and have no interst in it now. The last baseball player I enjoyed watching was "Charlie Hustle"

I was tickled to see Ryan Blaney come to the front and finish second......I got so tired of the announcers talking about Chase Elliott all day long.

M-5":2n0j3rcr said:
first time in about 30yrs I did not watch a single second of the qual, duels or the race. I saw on my feed that bush won ,
You probably got a heck of a lot more accomplished than me too. It was a total waste of time but I sat there until the end just like it was going to be different. :???:

boondocks":3q0rrjz6 said:
Caustic Burno":3q0rrjz6 said:
What is the allure NASCAR as I truly don't get it. Watching cars run around in an oval.

Never got in to NASCAR. My family was into sprint cars, Indy cars. My uncle built and drove his own. This was back in the 60's-early 70's, when a talented and determined young man, with friends and family who were gearheads and precision machinists, could respectably hold their own (not win). He (and later, after his eyes got bad, his driver) raced against AJ Foyt, Al Unser (Sr), Gary Bettenhausen, and a whole bunch more I'm forgetting. He and his buddies would work all day at their jobs, then all night in my grandparents' garage to get the car ready for a race. Night before a race, to test it they'd fire it up in the wee hours of the night and go flying down the hilly, curvy country road. Most of the neighbors were on the crew so no one complained.
First race I went to (about age 10 or 11) a rookie from Pa hit the wall right near me and died. It was his first race, and mine (as a spectator).
I still remember the smell of the fuel. Has a very specific smell--high alcohol?

Methanol.

john250":s0kp33li said:
boondocks":s0kp33li said:
Caustic Burno":s0kp33li said:

Methanol.
Yes, thank you. Couldn't remember which one it was, but it has a very specific smell. I actually liked it

Growing up in the Midwest I learned there is nothing better than a big block late model screaming out of the corner and pumping the alcohol out the pipes! Man, I miss dirt track racing.

Latest posts