Daytime Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

Lock the bulls up at night and on weekends and holidays and you will have pretty much the same luck. :D

We have to feed here early morning on the frost or we would be mixing most of the hay with mud. The bulk of our cows are early morning or daytime calvers.
I have a hunch if all fed the same that average time of calving would differ from herd to herd regardless.

My thoughts.

Always seems like they start to lay down and calve after they fill up on feed and go relax. We tried the night feeding thing a couple of years and didn't see anything to change that school of thought.
When we are calving we let the cows out into the "day pen" in the morning and and feed them. Seems like a few hours later we get a run of calves. Late in the afternoon we bring them into the "night pen" by the barn and feed them again, and a few hours later get another run on calves. Might be coincidence. Doesn't really matter, when we are calving someone is almost always out there.

Just talking about this the other day... And I'm sold on it.. Though I gave it a ""slightly""smaller percentage than the article...I fed In the late evenin's when I worked,,and have calves born during that day.. Now I feed earlier and find them with a calf the next morning..

ALACOWMAN":1te6fssv said:
Just talking about this the other day... And I'm sold on it.. Though I gave it a ""slightly""smaller percentage than the article...I fed In the late evenin's when I worked,,and have calves born during that day.. Now I feed earlier and find them with a calf the next morning..

Maybe the cows are just as perverse as their owner.... lol :p

"Births that could not be estimated within an hour of occurrence were excluded."

As in the ones born at night, cause they didnt get up every hour to check.. :lol:

Checking the cows this morning,, had a couple due anytime.. Checked one standing at the bale with the others.. Went down to check on others that had left for water.. No longer than I was gone, this gal left the bale, went over next to the fence and spit one out......yes I'm sold on it :cowboy:

I usually feed twice a day for the ones that are penned up.. usually about 11 am and 11 PM, the ones out in the pasture just get fed at noon.. I can definitely say the majority calf in the early morning or daytime

I noticed an increase in day time calvings when fed in the evenings. Now I try to run most everything on wheat and turnips during the winter so no feed. First calf heifers are on good hay and 4lb cracked corn and ddg in the evening of course. I read on another thread about nutrition and calf weight. I have noticed a considerable increase in birthweight of calves when moms were run on wheat. That is why the heifers are not ran on wheat. Usually jan. Calving dates.

Latest posts