Day Of Calving,Check List,Preperations,ect.

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
So after the loss,mistakes made or unforseen problems.What would a good checklist be for due day?All necessary preperations,precautions and need to know before hand?I have learned the hard way the past few years,too many times.I now know about EPD.What if she she is a very expensive show heifer?
With my job as a merchant marine,gone most of the year,have to depend on my wife.Yeah I have had more than my fair share of problems.But my job pays the bills.What if it was your high dollar registered heifer due in a few days?Advice and suggestions most welcome.

Well, I would suggest a good maternity set-up (including calving chute with a gate that swings back, and head catch), someone that your wife can absolutely depend on - preferably with experience - on speed dial for those 1-5 am deliverys, a reliable calf puller (and the knowledge of how to use it), ob chains (they tend to work hand in hand with the calf puller) and handles, a bottle with a sheep nipple (since most newborns take to that nipple a little quicker, as opposed to a calf nipple), packaged colostrum (just in case), a good supply of old towels/blankets (depending on the weather), somewhere to put the calves if the weather is unduly cold and wet, a gallon of the standard milk purchased from any supermarket (to jump start the calf - just in case), and lots of prayers.

Brahma Bull":cagca30n said:
So after the loss,mistakes made or unforseen problems.What would a good checklist be for due day?All necessary preperations,precautions and need to know before hand?I have learned the hard way the past few years,too many times.I now know about EPD.What if she she is a very expensive show heifer?
With my job as a merchant marine,gone most of the year,have to depend on my wife.Yeah I have had more than my fair share of problems.But my job pays the bills.What if it was your high dollar registered heifer due in a few days?Advice and suggestions most welcome.

The vet's phone number on speed dial....and as a back up, a local experienced rancher.

If you're so worried, maybe you can board her with the vet while you're away?

I also like to have a bottle of Jim Beam, that way if I have to pull a calf I can either celebrate or mourn depending on the outcome :D

Latest posts