day labor

Help Support CattleToday:

Well fist let's get a few facts of history straight. Number one, the Anglo settlers in Texas in the early 1800's were not illegal immigrants. They were invited to settle the area by the Texas Federalist government of the time, following Mexico gaining their independence from Spain. Don't forget that although Texas was a colony of Mexico it governed itself with its own constitution. The Anglo settlers in Texas (including my family) were perfectly content to continue living under this system.

This all changed in 1830 when Santa Anna assumed dictatorial powers and unilaterally abolished the Federalist Constitution of 1824. The war of Texas Independence started as a civil war. And there were many Tejanos (Texans of Mexican decent) who were the initial driving force in this civil war. Remember Juan Seguin and Jose Navarro? These Tejanos and Anglo settlers had common interest and fought and died together to initially restore this constitution, which later transformed into a fight for independence.

I've always thought the term Tejano was very endearing because it stood for a native Texan of Mexican decent. Texas wouldn't be "Texas" if it wasn't for them. I feel a true kinship with them. And hopefully most of them realize that when we talk about controlling ILLEGAL immigration we are not being disparaging toward them. Illegal immigration is as much a threat to Tejanos as it is to Gringos.

CJ

bullred":6zlg6qp4 said:
Well fist let's get a few facts of history straight. Number one, the Anglo settlers in Texas in the early 1800's were not illegal immigrants. They were invited to settle the area by the Texas Federalist government of the time, following Mexico gaining their independence from Spain. Don't forget that although Texas was a colony of Mexico it governed itself with its own constitution. The Anglo settlers in Texas (including my family) were perfectly content to continue living under this system.

This all changed in 1830 when Santa Anna assumed dictatorial powers and unilaterally abolished the Federalist Constitution of 1824. The war of Texas Independence started as a civil war. And there were many Tejanos (Texans of Mexican decent) who were the initial driving force in this civil war. Remember Juan Seguin and Jose Navarro? These Tejanos and Anglo settlers had common interest and fought and died together to initially restore this constitution, which later transformed into a fight for independence.

I've always thought the term Tejano was very endearing because it stood for a native Texan of Mexican decent. Texas wouldn't be "Texas" if it wasn't for them. I feel a true kinship with them. And hopefully most of them realize that when we talk about controlling ILLEGAL immigration we are not being disparaging toward them. Illegal immigration is as much a threat to Tejanos as it is to Gringos.

CJ

First the fellow from Kansas I was playing devils advocate with couldn't realize I was talking immigrant he was talkin terrorist.
Second bullred you are partially right on the Texas immigration.
6 April 1830--Relations between the Texans and Mexico reached a new low when Mexico forbid further emigration into Texas by settlers from the United States.
My family came after 1830 from Alabama as did many others during the period of illegal immigration, this and other disputes lead to revolution .

Caustic Burno":2nb26ao7 said:
Second bullred you are partially right on the Texas immigration.
6 April 1830--Relations between the Texans and Mexico reached a new low when Mexico forbid further emigration into Texas by settlers from the United States.
My family came after 1830 from Alabama as did many others during the period of illegal immigration, this and other disputes lead to revolution .

Correct, but my point was that the primary driving force during the battle for independence were the pre-1830 Anglos and Tejanos living under a legal constitution.

I just think it's a mis-characterization to say that a bunch of gringos came into Texas illegally and stole it away from the Mexicans.

memanpa":ns41n4mh said:
aplusmnt!
you are familiar with the illigal movment???
they swarm into KS?
try living in the douglas az, nogales az , to phx. az corridor !!!!

Umm ... Gainesville, Ga... never heard of anyone else with a sign directing illegals go there. Woohoo nothing like being the chicken capital of the world.

sorry that was a little past the fact. I was still on page one didn't notice there were two after that.

and no matter legal or illegal all (most) of the money is going back to their native country (and not just mexico) and I'm not all about pro inflation.

Latest posts