Daughters first project... please help pick calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Rcole1310

Reaction score
Guys could anyone please help with opinions? I raise commercial beef cattle. My daughters school just built an ag facility and she's been super pumped to do her first heifer project. I have NO CLUE about picking show heifers. This is her first time and I'm not ready to buy a show heifer for the first go-around. If things don't work out I can always put my heifer back in the pasture. I have 3 candidates that I think will be of good disposition and at target weight for tag-in. #'s 18, 45, and 55. Please give feedback, flaws, reasons, etc. Really appreciate it! By the way, these are pasture cattle that need worming and a few other things, we will get them in shape. Just want to know what we are working with. Thanks!

Tough call from the pics. 45 definitely is the fanciest - love her long neck, smoothness and femininity. She looks to have enough muscle and bone, and seems to have good rib shape. Compared to the baldie though, she gets a little shallower bodied, and that means a lot in a heifer show. She too looks to have enough bone, but appears a little flatter made than 45. I do like that the baldie looks to have a bit more set to her legs, but without seeing them move that doesn't mean everything. I think the 55 heifer is too far behind the other 2 in terms of depth of body and just sheer volume and mass.

If I could I'd try both 45 and 18 for awhile. Get them broke, see which one is easiest to work with and which one changes for the better with feed. Attitude alone might end up sorting them for you, 'cause that's as important as anything in a first show calf. From your pics I'm guessing they're both already pretty gentle, but one might still end up being easier to handle than the other.

DLD":1ggkdoyl said:
Tough call from the pics. 45 definitely is the fanciest - love her long neck, smoothness and femininity. She looks to have enough muscle and bone, and seems to have good rib shape. Compared to the baldie though, she gets a little shallower bodied, and that means a lot in a heifer show.

Yes 45 is fancier and quite feminine, but I give the nod to 18 because of her advantage in body depth

(I didn't like the baldie's rear legs in the photo along the fence, then realized she's pivoting at odd angle and assume
she walks out fine... is there any reason for her to favor her front left leg?)

I do like the idea of working and feeding both. Then allowing your daughter to choose, after all it's her learning
experience that matters. I also like putting them back in the pasture rather than spending extra dollars just for show.
With proper feed and care neither will embarrass you. To me that's more important than just 'see what I bought'.

p.s.
Time to band the bulls. :)

Thanks so much for the input guys. This is exactly what I'm looking for. The Baldie seems to walk just fine. Not sure if there's some deformity I'm not picking up but as far as walking she's good. I'm located near Alvin Texas.

I wasn't concerned about the baldie's legs - I like that she shows a little more set. 45's legs are probably fine too, but she looks a little straighter in her hocks and pasterns which can sometimes make one a little tighter moving. I really guess they both are plenty sound on their feet and legs.

Keep us updated on whatever you decide to feed, and good luck.

There is no deformity, just wanted to be certain the Baldie walks fine before saying 1 for her and 2 for number 45
but there is always the outside chance 45 could surpass her by show day.

Latest posts