Darwin Award nominee (posthumously of course)

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Morons abound.

Definitely a Darwin Award nominee--posthumously of course. A mortar tube, with enough explosive charge inside to propel the 'pretty stuff' hundreds of feet into the air probably has the recoil of several 12 ga shotgun blasts.
On top of your skull...really?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/ ... TY20150705
Maine man dies after trying to light firework on his head
A Maine man died during a Fourth of July celebration on Saturday night when he tried to launch a firework from the top of his head and it exploded, killing him instantly, police said Sunday.

Devon Staples, 22, of Calais, Maine, was drinking and celebrating the holiday in a friend's backyard when he placed the fireworks mortar tube on his head around 10 p.m., said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.

McCausland said it was unclear whether the firework was already lit, or whether Staples lit it once it was on his head.

He was killed instantly when it exploded, McCausland said.

The tube Staples was using was a reusable mortar shell but said McCausland said investigators did not know what type of firework he was attempting to shoot.

Maine has allowed the sale of fireworks since lawmakers repealed a 60-year-old ban on them in 2011.

Calais is in the eastern part of the state near the Canadian border.

I think I read that it was powerful enough it was like his head had been blown apart but I don't know if that's true. I can't imagine what he thought was gonna happen but I guess you don't have to think if you drink enough.

I saw the alligator one too. I read that the guy was at a pond with a sign that warned that there was alligators in it, yelled f the alligators or something like that and then jumped into the water and one of them killed him.

The police can't say whether the alcohol the swimmer was drinking had anything to do with his death. :shock: Personally I think when you here the words, "hold my beer" it's pretty obvious.

I saw them both, the fireworks was a 22 year old kid, had to be drunk. Dropped him on the spot. The gator was 28 @ 2:30 am. Nothing good ever happens when your out after midnight, I think your right Jo, only it was both that said "hold my beer, watch this!"

I could be wrong, but I believe the mortar failed to launch and exploded right there in the tube, on top of his head. I had one Sat night that failed to launch, and the explosion would likely remove most of ones head.

M.Magis":18d0jua7 said:
I could be wrong, but I believe the mortar failed to launch and exploded right there in the tube, on top of his head. I had one Sat night that failed to launch, and the explosion would likely remove most of ones head.
Older I get the less mine wants to "launch". No explosion either. :shock:

The guy that shot the mortar on his head was named Devon. I read an article where they talked to the brother of Devon and he said he was standing a few feet away when it happened and Devon was only playing around when he put the mortar on his head and pretended like he was going to fire it off but a freak accident caused his cigarette lighter to light the fuse. The surviving brother said there was no rush to get poor Devon to the hospital because there wasn't anything left of Devon.

I guess Bic lighters will be outlawed now.

I poured 5.5 inches of water from my rain gauge today. I passed a guy who decided he'd back his pickup truck in the ditch to unload his riding lawn mower. The rear end of his pickup was buried in the mud. He motioned with his hand as I drove by. I smiled and promptly waved at him like we were old buddies. (Two can play the stupid game :nod: )