Dart Guns

Help Support CattleToday:

HFCC

Reaction score
Howdy Y'all

Anyone use a dart gun or blow gun to treat their cattle?

I have been thinking lately of buying one...................

Thanks

Tracy

father in law uses the crossbow type. just got it this year he really likes it since usually on a 4wheeler. was showing me on the tip of needle though where he thinks if was extended out some would make it come out a little easier. at my dads place he uses the sticks you just ride up and poke them off of horseback with loves them he doesnt care for the gun that shoots them though never said why though. but out of the 3 or 4 people i know have them i havnt heard one person say it was a waste of money so they must be alright.

HFCC":fy69dib6 said:
Howdy Y'all

Anyone use a dart gun or blow gun to treat their cattle?

I have been thinking lately of buying one...................

Thanks

Tracy

Why would you do this?

I have a CO2 powered rifle. I will only use it if for some reason I can't get an animal into the chute/headgate. It works fine for an initial treatment but if I need to give a second it's harder to get close to the cows without them walking away. I can't seem to get the darts in while they are walking; they bounce off and I can see expensive antibiotic shooting in the air.

It's nice to have but I hope I never have to use it again.

Bought a cross bow type. Darts are high maintenance and require some skill and the cattle don't like it.

Unless you have a roping horse, I think the co2 rifle is good emergency back up. Thinking about buying one to replace the cross bow.

Latest posts