Dart guns!

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
looking to purchase a dart gun for my stockers. Which brands are preferred? Best antibiotics for darts? Just looking for an easier way to doctor than having to bring everybody up everytime. Thanks in advance!!

We have a PneuDart air gun. It does the job pretty reliably. I would say the best antibiotic to use in a dart is Draxxin due to the low dosage rate, and it has a thin consistency like water. I have used LA 300 for pink eye, but that requires a large 10cc dart for anything larger than a small calf and then the dosage may not be quite the recommended amount unless you use multiple darts for a bigger animal.
I have used NuFlor too, but always wonder with it being so thick if it gets injected right.

We have a PneuDart air gun. It does the job pretty reliably. I would say the best antibiotic to use in a dart is Draxxin due to the low dosage rate, and it has a thin consistency like water. I have used LA 300 for pink eye, but that requires a large 10cc dart for anything larger than a small calf and then the dosage may not be quite the recommended amount unless you use multiple darts for a bigger animal.
I have used NuFlor too, but always wonder with it being so thick if it gets injected right.
I have the same gun and darts as you and use Nuflor. It gets injected just fine as I use it for pinkeye as well and it's done the job every time.

Draxxin and zuprevo have lower dosages and are thin. That's nice because you have to use a 19 gauge needle to get the meds into the dart. Zactran requires more dosage and is thicker so it's more of a pain to load the dart. It is cheaper though. Haven't used any other meds.

We use pneudart darts. Don't know the gun brand. I wish the darts would biodegrade. Sometimes I'll find darts in the pasture that must have been there for at least a year.

I have had this one for at least 10 years, PneuDart air gun. The price has went up as I think it was around $250 when I bought it. Used it yesterday as a calf had a snotty nose and acted sick. I put Draxxon in and the calf today seemed better. The dart usually falls out in less than 10 minutes. If I get my hands on the used dart, and you can hear parts shaking inside it worked and smell burnt powder. You need a straight on direct shot to get a real good percentage of it working.

Several places I searched have them on back order.

Tty4UEn.jpg

Last edited:
I have had this one for at least 10 years, PneuDart air gun. The price has went up as I think it was around $250 when I bought it. Used it yesterday as a calf had a snotty nose and acted sick. I put Draxxon in and the calf today seemed better. The dart usually falls out in less than 10 minutes. If I get my hands on the used dart, and you can hear parts shaking inside it worked and smell burnt powder. You need a straight on direct shot to get a real good percentage of it working.

Tty4UEn.jpg
And he can repair them also. But parts are high so take good care of them

Tty4UEn.jpg
Do you IM or SQ your calves with Draxxin? What size needle?

I have a Pneu rifle. And mostly use Draxxin. I would use Zuprevo also but it seems I always have Draxxin on hand.

The size needle that comes on the darts. How would you know how deep the shot goes when fired from a gun from 30 yards away? Not prefect but it works.

On the Type P darts, needle size, I like the 3/4" length, Gel collar with the Tri-port Cannula. The 1/2" needles from my experience can bounce off or not stay in very long and the single port does not inject as well.

Last edited:
It looks like to me any medication via dart would have to be IM ( intramuscular ). I go the SQ route, if I have them in a chute. I don't see how anybody could accomplish a SQ injection with a dart gun, I know I sure couldn't. If I recollect correctly the needle that comes in the dart package to transfer the medication into the dart is a 19 gauge 1 1/2 inch needle. I believe the needle on the darts are 14 gauge.

It takes me a couple weeks to get back on a look at the replies... sorry about that! thank you all for you inputs. I think im gonna check out the pneu dart guns as they seem to have the better reviews. I to like having cattle in the chute for the certainty of knowing the drug is administered properly. My stockers run on pasture and when im at full capacity its a pain in the butt bringing em all up. Thanks again!!!!

I've rebuilt the model 178 from pneu dart it's easy and cost $20 for the kit. The main reason they malfunction is people over oil them.

I also have the pneu dart gun and use for when out on BLM pasture, works great. Only thing I don't like is waiting for the dart to fall out. Have waited up to 25 minutes. I have started putting Vaseline on the darts as suggested by the manufacturer, results vary. All in all it's been a good investment.

Hi, I just purchased the PneuDart air gun and it will be here tomorrow. I am purchasing the Draxxin as well, I got a prescription from my vet. But, it says to put under the skin, not intramuscular, how can I shoot her with the dart to only go under the skin? I am using the 6cc U pneu dart darts.

Hi, I just purchased the Pneu Dart air gun, 178B and it will be here tomorrow. I am purchasing Draxxin as well, I got a prescription from my vet. But, it says to put under the skin, not intramuscular, how can I shoot her with the dart to only go under the skin? I am using the 6cc U pneu dart darts. I keep reading that everyone uses Draxxin to treat pink eye, and they use the pneu dart gun to do it. I think I'm missing something. Someone please let me know if I can just use the dart and shoot her in the neck where it says to put the med.

I have a cap-chur long rifle dart gun. I got it from valley vet. It works well with the CO2 cartridges. I use draxxin since its low dosage.

Latest posts