Dart Gun

Help Support CattleToday:

SIMMGAL":1ixdmvop said:
We have and love a Penudart gun. It's a pump gun. We used to have a CO2 gun and it was handy but the power got inconsistent once you used a CO2 cartridge more than once and it got too expensive to use a new on every time. One thing that may have already been mentioned is make sure you have some sterile water on hand to add to the darts if you don't fill them all the way up with medication. (Ex-10cc dart with 5cc Duraxxin-add 5cc sterile water.) Ours paid for itself when over 3/4 of our calves ended up with pinkeye one year! We vaccinate them all now... :lol:

I never dilute the meds. I have 10, 8, and 5 cc darts. I also have some 1 cc darts they sent me with the gun. I have never used any of thee 1 cc darts.

Well my wonderful wife surprised me with the Capchur gun from Valley Vet for Christmas. Also got 5, 10 , 15 and 20 cc darts and a 15 pack of CO2 cartridges. Love that woman

Dave":35w16qnj said:
SIMMGAL":35w16qnj said:
We have and love a Penudart gun. It's a pump gun. We used to have a CO2 gun and it was handy but the power got inconsistent once you used a CO2 cartridge more than once and it got too expensive to use a new on every time. One thing that may have already been mentioned is make sure you have some sterile water on hand to add to the darts if you don't fill them all the way up with medication. (Ex-10cc dart with 5cc Duraxxin-add 5cc sterile water.) Ours paid for itself when over 3/4 of our calves ended up with pinkeye one year! We vaccinate them all now... :lol:

I never dilute the meds. I have 10, 8, and 5 cc darts. I also have some 1 cc darts they sent me with the gun. I have never used any of thee 1 cc darts.

We were told to fill them up by our sales rep for better medication delivery and to make sure the darts flew more consistently. Haven't had any problems with them yet!

Question on the capchur dart gun. I have had to use it three times. First time it worked perfectly. The last two times the dart has stuck in the calf for days before falling out. By then its trampled in the mud and no where to be seen. That can get expensive when they are 30 bucks a piece. I am using the barbed needle with side ports that is suppose to fall out after the drug is released. Does anyone have any experience with these and do I need a different type of needle? Thanks

I had that trouble at first. I filed the barbs down a bit and it seemed to take care of the problem. But I only use the gun as a last resort and don't have a lot of experience with it.

ChrisB":je2c93l9 said:
I had that trouble at first. I filed the barbs down a bit and it seemed to take care of the problem. But I only use the gun as a last resort and don't have a lot of experience with it.

Thanks for the advice ChrisB, filed mine down and worked like a charm!

Latest posts