Darn near broke the haybine in half

Help Support CattleToday:

Rydero

Reaction score
At the end of last season my 1475 New Holland haybine didn't want to lift the header on one side. I looked at the time and figured something with the mechanism or maybe the lift cylinder. Trying to be proactive so I started working on it a few weeks ago and I noticed a crack in the frame that goes across the trailer where the cylinder to turn it and the springs for the header attach.

Figured IF it could be fixed the header needed to come off and by the time I was done removing it she was almost broke right off. Had to use 2 tractors - one to move the turn cylinder to pull the frame together and one to lift and twist the frame just to somewhat (and terribly) patch it good enough to at least move it around.

Search was on and all auctions here are online only because of covid. Online auctions suck. They go on for 5 days or more and only the last 5mins count. Found a few whole haybines and they just went too high. I have an HS header and it works good, I don't want a whole haybine for $20000. I was hoping to find something reasonable... finally I logged on a consignment sale and there it was - just the cart for a 1475, no header (the owner had taken the header to put on a self propelled machine). After a few tense days and 5 really tense minutes I bought it. Next day my daughter and I went about 400kms to Swan River Manitoba to pick up my prize and pull it home at just a little over half speed. $2200, a couple fast food meals, some fuel and I'll be able to make hay again plus I have an extra pump, extra wheels and hubs for spares. Whew.

Those who can, will. Those who won't, can't or something like that. Isn't it good to get on the backside of a project like that?..
Watch for hairline cracks,,,,,,

Must be a Canadian thing. Could buy a good cutting 1475 down here for 5k bucks any day of the week. Haha
Could buy one for 5-6k with a lesser header here too but still more than double what I paid so not sure why I'd go that route. If I can get ones with HS headers for 5k in the Northern states I'll be in business as soon as I don't have to quarantine to come back.

If I stay in my boat all day long - - does that count for quarantine in Canada?
Stick a Q tip up your nose then lock yourself in the cabin (hopefully you boat is big enough to have a cabin) for 2 weeks. I honestly can't keep up with the rules, they change all the time. Every province is different.

I know nothing about a 1475 and am too lazy to Google it at the moment. Are there other heads that can be swapped onto that frame, or are they all the same type/size?

There's several series o
I know nothing about a 1475 and am too lazy to Google it at the moment. Are there other heads that can be swapped onto that frame, or are they all the same type/size?
There's several different series headers of different vintages and several sizes -14', 16', 18' and possibly even 12'. The HS series has the plastic sides and is the most recent. 1475 actually only refers to the cart - I can tell by the decals my "new" cart would've come with an older version of header originally. The header has its own model # in my case 16HS.

There's several series o
There's several different series headers of different vintages and several sizes -14', 16', 18' and possibly even 12'. The HS series has the plastic sides and is the most recent. 1475 actually only refers to the cart - I can tell by the decals my "new" cart would've come with an older version of header originally. The header has its own model # in my case 16HS.
Thank You. All sickle type headers?

Latest posts