Darn it, I know I saw purple!

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
This lack of rain is getting on my last nerves. Summertime in south Louisiana follows a predictable afternoon thunderstorm pattern. However, it's been really dry at my place, and the grass shows it bad. My cows need good grass now for the next several months to regain shape from the winter - not to mention that I need to get some hay made. The last 4 days we've watched the clouds move in, listen to the thunder and feel the wind only to be disappointed when the rain passed close by but not close enough to rain.

I live 10 miles from where I work so I find myself on intellicast or the local internet radar watching to see if the rain is passing over my place while I'm at work. I think I'm getting obsessed with this. It rained over an 1" at work today, and I know I saw green, dark red, and purple (meaning progressive strength of rain) pass over my place. I rush home and only a little less than 1/2" in the gauge. I know, 1/2" is better than nothing, but this is getting irritating. At least we have a 40 to 50% chance again over the next three days. I guess I'll be watching the radar again...

Anyone else as disfunctional as me?

cypressfarms":3dfh2bwt said:
This lack of rain is getting on my last nerves. Summertime in south Louisiana follows a predictable afternoon thunderstorm pattern. However, it's been really dry at my place, and the grass shows it bad. My cows need good grass now for the next several months to regain shape from the winter - not to mention that I need to get some hay made. The last 4 days we've watched the clouds move in, listen to the thunder and feel the wind only to be disappointed when the rain passed close by but not close enough to rain.

I live 10 miles from where I work so I find myself on intellicast or the local internet radar watching to see if the rain is passing over my place while I'm at work. I think I'm getting obsessed with this. It rained over an 1" at work today, and I know I saw green, dark red, and purple (meaning progressive strength of rain) pass over my place. I rush home and only a little less than 1/2" in the gauge. I know, 1/2" is better than nothing, but this is getting irritating. At least we have a 40 to 50% chance again over the next three days. I guess I'll be watching the radar again...

Anyone else as disfunctional as me?

Howdy Neighbor!!!!!!!!!!

right the opposite here,, its like a swamp ... afternoon rains every day over half a inch in every one, barely got one hay field cut and in the barn.. most of the cattlemen have none and are way behind

We always want what we don't have, no offense to anybody but.... Here in the PNW we had a May with over 200% of normal rain fall. If we get to June 8th it will be the first time in recorded history without a day of 80 degrees or better before June 8th. It's still too muddy to even mow the yard (we have about an acre of yard.... cows love the clippings).... what I would give for some nice days!..... OH oh.... now we'll get the 100 degree grass burning days and wipe every thing out. But seriously, hay may be a problem this year.

:D
Alan

Hay? Wondering about that myself... Still short around 50 to 100 rolls that I need for winter. Depending on quality of winter pastures I could be short a whole lot more.

Cypress, This one did us a decent job today. Dropped a little over an inch today over about 6 hours. Looks like it still has a little spin to it and heading your way.

usa_None_anim.gif

S Ind is getting modest amounts of rain, except in small areas that get drowned. It just rains a little every freakin' day. Everything is headed out, over ripe. High volume, low guality. At least we have volume.

1982vett":1n9zzwpm said:
Hay? Wondering about that myself... Still short around 50 to 100 rolls that I need for winter. Depending on quality of winter pastures I could be short a whole lot more.

Cypress, This one did us a decent job today. Dropped a little over an inch today over about 6 hours. Looks like it still has a little spin to it and heading your way.

Maybe so - Yesterday evening was another tease. Clouded up, thundered and wind blew - and final result was not enough rain drops to cover the driveway. The 1/2" did help us, but we really are going to be in hay/pasture trouble unless we start catching up to the normal.

Latest posts