Dark Dark Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Appreciate all the kind word's .
I just can't quit looking to see her waiting to go on the mule,truck or tractor.
I have owned a lot of dog's never one like her, I ordered her a monument Friday, she earned it.

3waycross":2s0ffi2e said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2s0ffi2e said:
What happened to her 3way?

Her family had a bunch of folks over and when they werent looking she slipped out the door and got out on the dirt road in fromt of the house. Car ran over her.
They are devastated!. My wife ran into the wife at the nursery where she was buying flowers to plant on her grave. I guess Dory like to chase Butterflies so Debbie was trying to find something that would attract Butterflies. She told the wife they were so sick over the thought of having to tell me that they cried all night!

Sorry to hear that 3way . :(
Pinta was a very lucky little girl and even though she had her skin shredded and ripped form her belly and lost her tail she had no internal injuries . It has been a long three weeks though and she is still on complete kennel rest but she is healing quite well and I hope she has learnt to be afraid of vehicles now and to stay the h@ll off the road . Now if I can just get that d*m pyrenees to stay off the bloody road :mad: I have done everything from tying him up ,to a good spanking and even the shock collar ,nothing seems to sink in . :???:

CB I know how you feel , I still felt Steffie was with me for months after we lost her to cancer and then one day ,she was gone . I didn't think I could love another dog like I did her, but I can and do. It just takes time ,so glad I only waited a few months after her passing to get Nikki as I cannot imagine my life without her in it . I do hope you will get another pup, after some time has passed and you are ready to open your heart again because life without a faithful side kick is just so empty .

3waycross":31ptz1jf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":31ptz1jf said:
What happened to her 3way?

Her family had a bunch of folks over and when they werent looking she slipped out the door and got out on the dirt road in fromt of the house. Car ran over her.
They are devastated!. My wife ran into the wife at the nursery where she was buying flowers to plant on her grave. I guess Dory like to chase Butterflies so Debbie was trying to find something that would attract Butterflies. She told the wife they were so sick over the thought of having to tell me that they cried all night!

That really stinks. My wife's family farm is on a fairly busy state highway and she lost several dogs as pups when she was growing up. Sorry for the loss.

CB I'm so sorry to hear of this! Sad dark day indeed. She will live on in spirit, your heart and memories.

Sorry I'm late with this, busy and bad storms.

Katherine

After reading these post I do not think I am crazy for loving my red dog like I do. Red dog is the only dog that I have ever had that I can talk to and he under- stands. He rides any thing I will and goes with me every where. Stole him from the dog pound nothing special. He is a fair dog around cattle and will chase anything that tell him until it turns on him. All this CB to tell you I understand Sorry

hillrancher":7zffex3n said:
After reading these post I do not think I am crazy for loving my red dog like I do. Red dog is the only dog that I have ever had that I can talk to and he under- stands. He rides any thing I will and goes with me every where. Stole him from the dog pound nothing special. He is a fair dog around cattle and will chase anything that tell him until it turns on him. All this CB to tell you I understand Sorry

I have owned a lot of squirrel dog's.
None have come close to Rube and her communication skill's.

I am working with a company right now on custom snake vest for the terrier's they want to market.
A light weight one that made of ballistic material's light enough to wear in the summer.
Looking to give them the freedom to be agile while being protected.
The investment of the heart and the billfold is great on these big little dog's.

Caustic Burno":1922c9fp said:
I am working with a company right now on custom snake vest for the terrier's they want to market.
A light weight one that made of ballistic material's light enough to wear in the summer.
Looking to give them the freedom to be agile while being protected.

I'm surprised there isn't something like that out on the market already. I think its a great idea. Something like that for larger dogs would be good as well. That item could be marketed not just for protection from Rattlesnakes but Copperheads as well. Copperheads are one of my biggest concerns when out and about with our dogs.

Where I used to work, one of the Percherons was bitten by a Copperhead, fortunately it wasn't on the muzzle (most common in horses) but just above the hoof. The vet and I doctored on that horse for months! I took pictures of the ordeal. She eventually healed, but unfortunately had to be put down 7 months later due to "digestive" issues involving the cecum and colon. Possibility that there had been residual damage from the toxins that we just couldn't see on the "inside" of the animal.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2vsei8lo said:
I'm surprised there isn't something like that out on the market already. I think its a great idea. Something like that for larger dogs would be good as well. That item could be marketed not just for protection from Rattlesnakes but Copperheads as well. Copperheads are one of my biggest concerns when out and about with our dogs.Katherine
I would think that the vests that hog dogs use would work on most everything but the face and lower legs

dun":beyzru4a said:
I would think that the vests that hog dogs use would work on most everything but the face and lower legs

I wondered about that. They look a bit cumbersome, but I suppose if it could prevent hog tusks from slicing into a dog maybe it would work for needle like snake fangs.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":5fks0xwy said:
dun":5fks0xwy said:

I wondered about that. They look a bit cumbersome, but I suppose if it could prevent hog tusks from slicing into a dog maybe it would work for needle like snake fangs.

Katherine

This company makes a very good vest even for the terrier's and with viper cloth it is snakeproof. It's just to hot for our climate in the summertime. Ruby had one unfortunately I didn't have it on her that day due to heat. That is one of the reason's I have been kicking my ass so hard. She would get just so dang hot in it and wanted to go with me so bad I let her.

http://hardcorehogdogs.com/Cut_Gear.html

Workinonit Farm":1w6032uc said:
dun":1w6032uc said:

Katherine

Copperheads usually go for the snout. Twice they hit my golden retriever on the bone in the nose and didn't much penetrate. Third time they got him in the side of the mouth. The venom didn't get him but the virus some of them carry in their venom did. Rattlesnakes seem more relentless in my opinion. They'll hit again and again until they get a good bite.

You get a new dog you go all thru the pains again. That puppy chewing is what drives me nuts the most.

I've got a Kerr/Heeler cross now. A heck of a dog. Hopefully he'll be around a long time.

backhoeboogie":1w7aui9b said:
Workinonit Farm":1w7aui9b said:
dun":1w7aui9b said:

Katherine

Copperheads usually go for the snout. Twice they hit my golden retriever on the bone in the nose and didn't much penetrate. Third time they got him in the side of the mouth. The venom didn't get him but the virus some of them carry in their venom did. Rattlesnakes seem more relentless in my opinion. They'll hit again and again until they get a good bite.

You get a new dog you go all thru the pains again. That puppy chewing is what drives me nuts the most.

I've got a Kerr/Heeler cross now. A heck of a dog. Hopefully he'll be around a long time.

I really like those kerr/heeler crosses. Make a great companion, and cattle dog too.
I've got me a new Red Heeler that I am training now, but shes only 10 weeks old, my ol blue heeler (KC) is on her last leg (14yrs old) and "patch" is gonna take over sometime. CB's loss reminds me of the two dogs I lost in recent months. Two months ago I had 4 dogs.. now down to 2. Never get over losing any of em.

A number of years ago a guy that worked for me had to leave his dog temporarily with his x-wife. Dog got out and got smushed by a car. She called and told him and he got all bent out of shape about it. A jerk that also worked for me said "what's the big deal, it's just a dog". I had to pull the first guy off of him while he was trying to kill him. It would have been easier if I hadn;t wanted to get my licks in on him too. I have never met a "just a dog"! There's dogs I haven'td care for, but never a "just a dog"

cowmilker":s6jz64zb said:
K9: $6.80 per dose wholesale
Equine: $19.00 per dose wholesale (where I am). I don't know anything about frequency of administration.
Looked a little more and found this:

Keep the vaccine refrigerated at 35-45F. Never freeze the vaccine. Shake well before using. Each dose is 1cc, to be given subcutaneously just above the muscle and in the dead space under the subcutaneous fat and away from the mid line. This product is intended for use in healthy dogs, who are at least four months old, as an aid in the reduction of morbidity and mortality due to intoxication with Crotalus Atrox (western diamondback rattlesnake) venom. Administration should be by or under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian only. The product expiration date is two years from date of manufacture.

For the initial vaccination, two doses are recommended spaced 30 days apart. Typically, protection from boosters peaks about 30 days after boosters and lasts about six months. A dog should get at least one booster per year approximately one month before the beginning of his "rattlesnake exposure season". Dogs exposed to rattlesnakes longer than about six months per year, or dogs at higher risk, may benefit from a booster every six months.
There may be a modified initial protocol for dogs over 100 Lbs or under 25 Lbs because very large and very small dogs don't always produce enough protective antibodies from only two injections in the initial sequence. They may benefit from one additional booster shot 30 days after the first booster shot in the initial vaccination sequence (three doses total). For large or small dogs that did not receive this three-injection initial protocol, their regular subsequent boosters typically bring a dog's antibody protection up to adequate levels.

Caustic Burno":10ix9nwx said:
and with viper cloth it is snakeproof.

http://hardcorehogdogs.com/Cut_Gear.html

Interesting site. I like the looks of "The Tank". That one appears to offer a lot of coverage, especially around the neck.

Try not to be so hard on yourself. You're probably not the only one to have made that choice for the same reason, too hot.

Katherine

backhoeboogie":3vn2jguy said:
Copperheads usually go for the snout. Twice they hit my golden retriever on the bone in the nose and didn't much penetrate. Third time they got him in the side of the mouth. The venom didn't get him but the virus some of them carry in their venom did.

A friend of mine lost a dog to a Copperhead bite to the snout. Sister-in-law's Pointer took a hit to the mouth. Dog survived, but face swelled, tongue swelled and he got an infection.

So far my buddy has been lucky.

Katherine

TexasBred":36dovpfi said:
I've heard of the "Rattlesnake Vaccines" but have never had my dogs vaccinated. Have no idea what the price is but apparently they are available.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzone/ ... -Dogs.aspx

All my dog's have had the rattlesnake vaccine and it work's on a head or leg strike so the antibodies have time to kick in.
It does not have time to work on a rib cage strike where the venom is pumped in on top of all the vital organ's.
Rube got hit before and it never slowed her down, on a head strike by a 4 1/2 foot timber rattler. Very little swelling and the next day none at all. This last strike was rib cage and hit an artery, this was a massive timber rattler. My vet and I have had many conversation's with Red Rock Biologics the maker of the vaccine. Before the vaccine my vet claimed he had never saved a dog bit anywhere by a timber rattler.