Dark Dark Day

Help Support CattleToday:

I would like to offer my condolences as well CB.
It is a tough thing to lose a faithful friend like that...I have buried too many...

A few months ago, When our little Toby came to the end of the road....he was alternately suffering and in a coma....
there I was a 250 lb mean looking old man standing in the vets office with an unconcious little dog in my arms tears rolling down my face and unable to speak....I scared the devil out of them little gals in the vet office.

I just hate snakes anyway and after our Tana and my Rose have both been bit by copperheads I kill every snake I see.
Rose ia a good sized dog and she has survived but it took a toll on her. We eventually lost Tana in good part due to the snake bite. After the snake bite it was just one thing after another and her immunity was just crushed. I also don't subscribe to the conventional wisdom that black snakes keep the copperheads away....we got both and we got plenty of both...and the black snakes are more likely to try to bite than the copperheads are. I know they are not venomous but he ain't going to chew on me anyway.

I had to fix a leak in the pump house last friday. As I was gathering parts and tools and fixing to go in there... out rolls this six foot black snake. He scairt me so bad that he lost his head as well. pump house is 4 feet by 6 feet in ground and has all the plumbing and electrical etc and there weren't room in there for me and snakes.

Sorry about the loss of your friend. Also a note to the snake killers make sure and leave the king snakes alone they help with the control of the other snakes. Also the more black snakes and chicken snakes the less gophers you will have.

hurleyjd":1f45trsb said:
Sorry about the loss of your friend. Also a note to the snake killers make sure and leave the king snakes alone they help with the control of the other snakes. Also the more black snakes and chicken snakes the less gophers you will have.

I usually just kill the shyt snakes........If they manage to scare the shyt out of me I kill em!

hurleyjd":9r114m5n said:

we don't have gophers....we have ground hogs and it would take a python to kill them. I popped a good 25 or 30 pounder last week with the 223.

I hear all these good things about king snakes but I have never seen but one in thirty years here and I did not kill it.....

certainly no shortage of other snakes though.

Caustic Burno":nbmovkux said:
Thank's all.

I am just on a real low limb .
This is going to take me a while to get over.
When my old partner died I decided I wasn;t going to replace her or at least wait a while until I did. There was such a hole that just wouldn;t go away so I got a new pup shortly after she died. One of the best things I ever did. That new pup and I talked a lot about the old girl and it helped to have someone totally non-judgemental to listen and offer comfort. Yes, I'm a big softy! The new one will never take the place of the other and it shouldn;t, but it does help fill the void.
Remember the outside of a dog is good for the inside of a man

Caustic Burno":33gegyb6 said:
Thank's all.

I am just on a real low limb .
This is going to take me a while to get over.

You and your family are in my prayers CB , my deepest condolences. No words can heal your broken heart but I do hope with time you will be able to remember all of your wonderful times with your beloved Rube with smiles instead of tears and a warm heart instead of sorrow. :heart:

Sorry, CB. Losing a good dog really hits hard even though you know it's gonna happen some day. There are some things you just can't prepare yourself for.

Found out today that one of the puppies i sold last summer was killed this weekend. She was the one i didn't want to let go. Her name was Dory and she was a real sweetheart. I feel terrible!

TennesseeTuxedo":1a6vkqav said:
What happened to her 3way?

Her family had a bunch of folks over and when they werent looking she slipped out the door and got out on the dirt road in fromt of the house. Car ran over her.
They are devastated!. My wife ran into the wife at the nursery where she was buying flowers to plant on her grave. I guess Dory like to chase Butterflies so Debbie was trying to find something that would attract Butterflies. She told the wife they were so sick over the thought of having to tell me that they cried all night!