Dang raccoons

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
Man there are a lot of raccoons this year. I cannot keep them out of my deer feeders. I have varmint cages around the bottom, but they still tear them up. What are you guys using? Thanks,bill

#1 1/2 Victor coil spring...... oops, I didn't say that. Those are illegal anymore in this state. But then so are deer feeders.....

papavillars":2d9yu61r said:
Man there are a lot of raccoons this year. I cannot keep them out of my deer feeders. I have varmint cages around the bottom, but they still tear them up. What are you guys using? Thanks,bill
Purina Monkey Chow use to do the trick (I didn't say that). I think they quit making it tho. Too many people feeding it to coons. :mrgreen:

When I need to I just use a havahart trap and a can of fishy stinking cat food. Never caught a possum or diller with the cat food, just coons, cats and a skunk one time.

Yep, 22 works well so does a 17hmr. I have shot lots and trapped lots using sardines or tuna. I was looking for some idea that you can wrap around the legs of the tripod feeder. I even tried carpet tack strips hot glued to the galvanized legs. Greased them , siliconed them, cursed them, and fed them a lot of corn.

If they are as thick were you are, as they are here, I see no need in even trying to thin them out. They are every where.

A steel 55 gallon drum. A 1×6 board as a ramp and baited with sardines in the bottom. You will catch several in one night. It can be ugly if two boars get in there as they will fight to the death and the results of the cage match is ugly. I don't recommend this trapping method unless you are infested with them and taking one at a time out with a have-a-heart trap doesn't work.

Years ago I had a deer feeder filled with corn behind my parents house that I ended up having a live trap set most of the year.....one year I caught 15 coons near that one feeder.I have a friend that used the coons to train his coonhound pups.

Latest posts