dang neighbors update pg4

Help Support CattleToday:

It also depends on what the cattle are used to. I use a 4 wheeler or the feed truck. The cattle do not get disturbed, I can do anything with them. If I try on foot, they know something is different and they will not work. I do not own a horse, but when someone has taken a horse in there, they ended up chasing cattle and I stopped them. That is why I believe it is just better to get the cattle up, cut out the strangers cattle and take them home. You dont have to feed them and you dont get mad at your neighbor, nor he at you.

Cattle I have found are more apt to do what you want them to do when you train them to follow.Our cattle will follow the 4wheeler or the pickup any where. Cows just don't want to be pushed.
Now wild cattle that don't see anyone or get hand fed for months at a time are a whole different ball game.
Horses ropes and everything else you can think of is needed.

Just had a thought about a thread we had here about a year or so ago where a shotgun was mentioned. :lol: :lol:
It's just my thoughts but I would pen up my cattle and cut out the neighbors and take it to him.
Leas that's the way we do things in my part of texas.

Cal

Frankie said it very well - it's the neighbors animal. If he wants it back then you have little recourse other than to charge for any damages done. The guy may indeed be a jerk but it's still his cow/heifer. If horses can't be brought in then just have him bring some friends and chase her into a pen and trailer it out.

I still can't figure out the pipeline deal. How does anyone make money off a pipeline crossing your property??

BeefmasterB said:
Frankie said it very well - it's the neighbors animal. If he wants it back then you have little recourse other than to charge for any damages done. The guy may indeed be a jerk but it's still his cow/heifer. If horses can't be brought in then just have him bring some friends and chase her into a pen and trailer it out.

I still can't figure out the pipeline deal. How does anyone make money off a pipeline crossing your property??[/
quote]

You get paid by the foot.

stocky":3tymuuch said:
It also depends on what the cattle are used to. I use a 4 wheeler or the feed truck. The cattle do not get disturbed, I can do anything with them. If I try on foot, they know something is different and they will not work. I do not own a horse, but when someone has taken a horse in there, they ended up chasing cattle and I stopped them. That is why I believe it is just better to get the cattle up, cut out the strangers cattle and take them home. You dont have to feed them and you dont get mad at your neighbor, nor he at you.
big difference in a horseman that knows cattle and how too handle em, then a bunch just running em i like too run em in the arena, but its a different situation in the pasture,

Speaking of horses... Came home Sunday and there were three of them in a pasture that's about an acre in size, at my neighbor's place. Geez. He's gonna love the way that's gonna smell this summer. And he's gonna love it when they tromp all his grass off and turn that pen into a mud puddle. He doesn't even have stalls.

I've been lucky with the horse thing. Haven't had that many folks around here with three horses on the backyard until now. :help:

Lammie":33xj9tm2 said:
Speaking of horses... Came home Sunday and there were three of them in a pasture that's about an acre in size, at my neighbor's place. Geez. He's gonna love the way that's gonna smell this summer. And he's gonna love it when they tromp all his grass off and turn that pen into a mud puddle. He doesn't even have stalls.

I've been lucky with the horse thing. Haven't had that many folks around here with three horses on the backyard until now. :help:
Did he move from New Orleans?
They move up in our area to be horse owners and to enjoy the country life away from the city. Then they all congregate up and make it like city living again.

Ryder":ws3qhvxj said:
Lammie":ws3qhvxj said:

They move up in our area to be horse owners and to enjoy the country life away from the city. Then they all congregate up and make it like city living again.

I am hoping they are just there visiting. They have had company all week. He really isn't set up for horses.

Lammie":jl7jyyw6 said:
Ryder":jl7jyyw6 said:
Lammie":jl7jyyw6 said:

I am hoping they are just there visiting. They have had company all week. He really isn't set up for horses.[/quote] that don't stop em... the last horse i bought, the guy had in his back yard just a small lot bout starved to death,, it was one of those things where they get in the horse business one day, and out the next

No matter how wild she is never underestimate the power of feed. We had one of our neighbors buy an Angus cow at a sale. When he turned her loose she headed straight for the fence, jumped it and was gone. She eventually came across the ridge and got in with our cows. When you pulled up in the truck she would head to the woods she was so wild. Neighbor wanted to try to get her out then, but I told him not to be in any hurry and let her settle down for a couple of weeks. We started feeding chop every day at this place. The first few days she would run when you pulled up. But if you hid where you could watch the feed box, as soon as you left she would come in and start eating with the rest of them. She gradually got calmer as we kept feeding every day until she was waiting on you at the feed box when you pulled up in the truck. When neighbor came to get her we took a bucket of feed and led her straight into the corral. No running, no cussing, no hassle. The neighbor paid us for the feed and bought us a steak dinner. It can take some time, but most cows can eventually be bucket trained. The rest usually have to leave on their sides at room temperature.

update on the wild cow.the cowboy came back with 2 horses this morning.an they was going to try an walk her into another pasture close by with a corral in it.but that didnt happen as soon as they started to her she took off for the woods.an hid out there.she is supposed tobe bred.so we told them to leave her here till she calves.an see if having a calf will calm her down.he wants to trank her.but the best way is to let her calve here an see what happens.

bigbull338":2tkhz8q1 said:
update on the wild cow.the cowboy came back with 2 horses this morning.an they was going to try an walk her into another pasture close by with a corral in it.but that didnt happen as soon as they started to her she took off for the woods.an hid out there.she is supposed tobe bred.so we told them to leave her here till she calves.an see if having a calf will calm her down.he wants to trank her.but the best way is to let her calve here an see what happens.

Then you'll be dealing with trying to catch two animals?

not to mention the fact that calving usually makes a cow harder to handle instead of easier. that's my experience anyway.

right or get pro cattle ropers in that know what they are doing.an that cost prolly over $100 a hd now.i figure tranking her is the only way to get her.an even that might kill her.

bigbull338":2c8q2so5 said:
right or get pro cattle ropers in that know what they are doing.an that cost prolly over $100 a hd now.i figure tranking her is the only way to get her.an even that might kill her.
Sounds like the best deal. Either way it goes you are rid of her.

Your neighbors have a very short memory. You told them no horses in your pasture. Then they show up on horses. Very strange folks.
Tom.

well the guy that had her traded her to another guy.an he is the 1 that really wants her out.an he says he didnt stirr the cows up when he has been in there.he wants her out so bad that he even had a cowboy i know an his partner come an try to get her.was checking the cows an found them in the pasture.an he said he didnt see her or couldnt find her.itll take a week or so before she will come out if shes hiding.so dont know if she jumped out or what right now.