dang neighbors update pg4

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't see a problem with this. I would tell the neighbor when I rounded up cattle she was going to the sale barn and I was deducting pasture rent and transportation out of the check he gets what left of zero. If this was not ok with him kill the bitch and drag her to his front steps with the 4x4.

hillrancher":1nq2cg94 said:
I don't see a problem with this. I would tell the neighbor when I rounded up cattle she was going to the sale barn and I was deducting pasture rent and transportation out of the check he gets what leftof zero

fair enough , but not zero

hillrancher":1nq2cg94 said:
. If this was not ok with him kill the be nice and drag her to his front steps with the 4x4.

i can promise you that won't work( how big an ol' boy are ya ! :D )

i say pen her up , call the neighbor and have him pick her up.
i'd suggest he sell her and offer to sell him some gentle stock or help him pick the next ones
were i come from it's called being neighborly

a cow like that is no good for nothing.an i doubt we can even get her in the corral but we will see what happens.as for charging the old boy he would owe more than what she is worth.an if she gets stirred up no telling how much fence she would ripp out.i think she will try to jump out of the steel corral.

bigbull338":1xu3vfkw said:
a cow like that is no good for nothing.an i doubt we can even get her in the corral but we will see what happens.as for charging the old boy he would owe more than what she is worth.an if she gets stirred up no telling how much fence she would ripp out.i think she will try to jump out of the steel corral.

I agree, cows like that got no place anywhere. Rarely, I end up with a winged-nutcase that can defy the laws of nature. I give them three chances to get on the trailer. If they strike out they become buzzard vitles. Got one now. She's on her second strike. Done lots of damage to gates and pens. Going to try once more to put a trailer under her feet but I do know when I work them again I'll be dressed heavy.

well i know this that cow stays back from the herd 50 to 100ft feet when they come up.i know i dont want to get around her because theres no telling what she will do.

bigbull338":35hxrnge said:
well i know this that cow stays back from the herd 50 to 100ft feet when they come up.i know i dont want to get around her because theres no telling what she will do.

Last spring a guy up the road from me penned a cow like this. It ended up catching him in the pen. He was in the hospital for a while. He said his bill was $64,000. Sometimes you really need to look at the benefit cost ratio of dealing with certain cows. JMO

grannysoo":9kzea2h3 said:
I just keep thinking SSS :roll:

:lol2: :lol2: Is that today or several weeks ago. :lol2:

Reminds me of a friend of mine who's neighbor couldn't keep his pigs out of my friends peanuts. Friend asked him for weeks to get them but the fella just couldn't find the time. One day he had a bait of it and he shot several of the pigs. Nice fat ones too. His neighbor learned of this and stormed up to my friends store and blessed him out then wrote him a check for several thousand dollars on the money he owed him and told him that he would never buy seed or fertilizer from him again. My friend told me that he sure wished he'd known this sooner cause if he had known this is all it would take to get his money out of his neighbor he'd have shot the pigs weeks ago and might have even made money on his peanuts. Might be a lesson in here somewhere I don't know. But I do know the two I got made for some fine eating. ;-)

BigBull, I'd have you as a neighbor anyday, you've been great. I still remember when someone leased a pasture next to ours and his cattle got in here. Before even asking what we would prefer, he cut down our new fence to run them back through because that was easiest for him :mad:

I would never want a nasty tempered cow running loose in our pastures. It sure sounds like the guy didn't know what he was getting himself into and doesn't want to deal with her anymore. I bet he's sorry to have p*ssed you off too. Have you asked him what he wants to do with her? Maybe he would be fine with tranquilizing her and then shipping her to the sale barn? Or maybe he'd be fine with having her butchered on the spot and paying to donate her to a zoo or a food pantry? He'd have to pay, but it's fast and easy. A neighbor's bull ended up over here from two pastures away once and that's what the owner decided to do with him. This guy sounds so green that he doesn't even know his options and can't face it anymore. He tried the horse thing and look where that got him? Now he's stuck stupid, has a wild cow that he doesn't know what to do with, and has an angry neighbor on top of it.

What did your brand inspector say? They will usually do the footwork of being a go between for you which might be good at this point.

Good luck, I hope she's out of your hair by now.

Jogeephus":26d34ssb said:
grannysoo":26d34ssb said:
I just keep thinking SSS :roll:

:lol2: :lol2: Is that today or several weeks ago. :lol2:

Reminds me of a friend of mine who's neighbor couldn't keep his pigs out of my friends peanuts. Friend asked him for weeks to get them but the fella just couldn't find the time. One day he had a bait of it and he shot several of the pigs. Nice fat ones too. His neighbor learned of this and stormed up to my friends store and blessed him out then wrote him a check for several thousand dollars on the money he owed him and told him that he would never buy seed or fertilizer from him again. My friend told me that he sure wished he'd known this sooner cause if he had known this is all it would take to get his money out of his neighbor he'd have shot the pigs weeks ago and might have even made money on his peanuts. Might be a lesson in here somewhere I don't know. But I do know the two I got made for some fine eating. ;-)

I think that whenever it's necessary. I would sure hate to be in that field when a strangers cow made me fear for my life. Any reasonable person would do whatever needed to be done to protect themselves. How about instead of SSS, we just S and then have supper instead? :nod:

I luv herfrds":12mkfr1z said:
Call the sheriff's department and if you have a brand inspector call them too. Follow the legal route and get that nasty cow out of your pasture.
This seems the sensible route to follow. At least try to establish a paper trail to show you are not just a hot head (even if you are :lol:) so if any real trouble develops you at least have that to stand on.

heres the thing theres no need in calling the law to catch her or the brand inspector.because horses arnt allowed in the pastures.the last time horses was used to catch neighbors cattle.our cows went crazy running all over everytime they seen the ATV.an it took 3wks to calm them down.so we just catch them.or let them go in with a truck an get them out on foot.an yes the guy is a greenhorn biggtime.people around think they have a RIGHT to go on any1s place they want without asking.but they dont.

bigbull338":3j7bikbe said:
people around think they have a RIGHT to go on any1s place they want without asking.but they dont.

Same here. For some reason they have a sense of entitlement. I have a big problem with horse back riders. They think ..... well the thing is they don't think. That's why I have yet to call the idiot on a horse a cowboy cause I think if he was truly a cowboy he would understand the rules.

edit : six pack of beer says he had him one dandy of a belt buckle ;-)

bigbull338":1nszzi4q said:
heres the thing theres no need in calling the law to catch her or the brand inspector.because horses arnt allowed in the pastures.the last time horses was used to catch neighbors cattle.our cows went crazy running all over everytime they seen the ATV.an it took 3wks to calm them down.so we just catch them.or let them go in with a truck an get them out on foot.an yes the guy is a greenhorn biggtime.people around think they have a RIGHT to go on any1s place they want without asking.but they dont.

Why can't you pen your own cattle and then let them bring in the horse or dog or whatever and get her out? Your cows won't be bothered and you'll have her out of your pasture.

If you don't let him come and get his cow, HE may call the law. That won't make you happy, but she is his animal and he has a right to get her off your place. You have the right to charge for damages and board, but she's his animal and you can't keep him from getting her.

Many times, the easiest, quickest, and the way that causes the least problems in the future, is to simply get your cattle up, cut out the neighbors animal and load it and haul it to the neighbor. When you get it up, call and tell them you got your animals up and theirs was with them so it was handy for you to load it and bring it to them and you will be there in a few minutes. Gets the animal out of your pasture and the neighbor feels you did him a favor and usually will do you a favor someday. We have cattle get into our pastures and others have our cattle get into theirs, most people around here just load it and take it back where it belongs---works pretty well.

frankie it would be hard to catch our cows since they have free run of 150acs.as for me not being easy going i can be nice or rough.an we mostly have to deal with kinfolks cattle getting on us.an that happened 2wks ago.went out an found 10 heifers in the pasture that belong to a cousin.told his grandson to get them.an he got them out that day.he has finally learned not to bring horses in our pasture.all our cows are worked on foot 4 wheeler or both.

alacattleman":241fd77z said:
id rather work cattle horse back anyday.... good horse and cowboy can keep cattle working calm and quite
That is my opinion it is not what they are worked on be it a 4 wheeler or a horse it is the person handling the cattle that makes the difference most of the time I move mine from pasture to pasture with the 4 wheeler and the truck but when I am gathering them to work them I usually do it horseback

just because someone can ride a horse and rope a cow doesn't make him a cowman