Dang Neighbors Part Deux

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Got a call early this morning that my cows were out and I rushed out to the location I was given only to find it wasn't my cows. I located tracks and followed these to the home of a new neighbor. This neighbor raises everything from guineas to donkeys on there 7 acre ranch. As I'm out there, I run into the guy and he admits it is his heifer. I look over his shoulder and see a 8 weight bull laying on his chest pushing himself across the ground trying to find something to eat in the putting green they call a pasture. I ask what is wrong with the bull and he tells me it was born that way. The sight of this animal's situation just made me furious. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugger or a prairie fairy but this seemed cruel to me and I told him so. Since the guard at the gate was sleeping on duty, I also told him I thought he was an idiot to think that a three sided fence consisting of a single strand of electric fence set two foot off the ground would confine his goats much less a horny heifer. I then told him he should be ashamed of himself for treating an animal like that and its folks like him that gives cattle producers a bad name. Then I walked off.

I then called the sheriff and asked them to refer any "cow on highway" calls in that area to our new neighbor. You know, the same one ya'll refer all the "goats on the highway" and "geese on the highway" and "donkeys on the highway" calls to. And please don't refer anymore to me. Especially if they are red.

I admit, it wasn't the most neighborly thing to do. I am not normally like this. Felt a little guilty but it was an aweful sight to me.

Sounds like to me to me that you were being a good neighbor. Sometimes we just have to tell people things they may not want to hear but the information just might do them some good! Your neighbors little operation sounds like it's waaay off the charts. Why would anyone want to keep a bull in that conditon? What would be the point? That's a sad situation.

If smart people don't tell dumb people when they're dumb, how do smart people expect dumb people to know they're dumb? gs

plumber_greg":1r7tcf81 said:
If smart people don't tell dumb people when they're dumb, how do smart people expect dumb people to know they're dumb? gs

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BeefmasterB":29pmdxoc said:
Why would anyone want to keep a bull in that conditon? What would be the point? That's a sad situation.

I asked this. His reply they were going to finish him then butcher him. :???:

Jogeephus":31y0uhfl said:
BeefmasterB":31y0uhfl said:
Why would anyone want to keep a bull in that conditon? What would be the point? That's a sad situation.

I asked this. His reply they were going to finish him then butcher him. :???:

More evidence that some humans should be neutered .

Jogeephus":2ypovq2b said:
Got a call early this morning that my cows were out and I rushed out to the location I was given only to find it wasn't my cows. I located tracks and followed these to the home of a new neighbor. This neighbor raises everything from guineas to donkeys on there 7 acre ranch. As I'm out there, I run into the guy and he admits it is his heifer. I look over his shoulder and see a 8 weight bull laying on his chest pushing himself across the ground trying to find something to eat in the putting green they call a pasture. I ask what is wrong with the bull and he tells me it was born that way. The sight of this animal's situation just made me furious. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no tree hugger or a prairie fairy but this seemed cruel to me and I told him so. Since the guard at the gate was sleeping on duty, I also told him I thought he was an idiot to think that a three sided fence consisting of a single strand of electric fence set two foot off the ground would confine his goats much less a horny heifer. I then told him he should be ashamed of himself for treating an animal like that and its folks like him that gives cattle producers a bad name. Then I walked off.

I then called the sheriff and asked them to refer any "cow on highway" calls in that area to our new neighbor. You know, the same one ya'll refer all the "goats on the highway" and "geese on the highway" and "donkeys on the highway" calls to. And please don't refer anymore to me. Especially if they are red.

I admit, it wasn't the most neighborly thing to do. I am not normally like this. Felt a little guilty but it was an aweful sight to me.

No offense my friend - 7 acres is a building lot or ranchette at best and most likely not even a hobby farm - ceertainly not a money maker from the sound of it - would not even qualify as an ag operation here.

There are dick heads the world over - sounds like you got one right beside you - love your final comment to the police

Have fun

Bez+

Bez+":5wu1axzl said:
No offense my friend - 7 acres is a building lot or ranchette at best and most likely not even a hobby farm - ceertainly not a money maker from the sound of it - would not even qualify as an ag operation here.

I don't know about that. I actually wasn't aware there were any ranches around here but these transplants seem to have different ideas. Seems anything less than 10 acres is a "ranch" or at least that's what their signs say. ;-)

New people bring new ideas. Its entertaining and educational at the same time. They appear to be naturalists and possilby organic growers as they don't believe in the use of fertilizer. Also interesting is their grazing system. They use a "non-controlled" grazing system with their three sided fence design. This allows their collage of animals free range of the neighbors crops. People here are very tolerant and neighborly but it will be interesting to see what happens as the crop damage mounts.

My main concern is if this hot heifer wags her tail in front of one of my bulls. Just don't think my fence would stop them.

Jogeephus":25exz36r said:
Bez+":25exz36r said:

I don't know about that. I actually wasn't aware there were any ranches around here but these transplants seem to have different ideas. Seems anything less than 10 acres is a "ranch" or at least that's what their signs say. ;-)

New people bring new ideas. Its entertaining and educational at the same time. They appear to be naturalists and possilby organic growers as they don't believe in the use of fertilizer. Also interesting is their grazing system. They use a "non-controlled" grazing system with their three sided fence design. This allows their collage of animals free range of the neighbors crops. People here are very tolerant and neighborly but it will be interesting to see what happens as the crop damage mounts.

My main concern is if this hot heifer wags her tail in front of one of my bulls. Just don't think my fence would stop them.
their pretty much the same everywhere, we got one here. got about 20 goats 3 horses and 7or 8 cows on 5 acres.. that i use too rent too develope heifers on...somebody he deals with dumps a hay bale in his drive way every other day and his kid roll it out in the pasture

How does he keep his goats in that fence? Much less the heifer?

I'm one of those hobby guys, but my fences are slightly better than that. Nothing's gotten out in several months... :oops:

alacattleman":2545hauv said:
the guy down from me has a net wire fence..........there like chinese fingers too a goats head

I'd like to see that...

I have pipe fence. Goat would walk clean through it. One of the reasons I don't keep them, other than the fact that they smell nasty.

These things are what make me appreciate really good neighbors Jogee. I have them both.

Then there are the good Samaritans that just open my gates and mix the one bad neighbor's cows in with mine. :mad:

backhoeboogie":329jl3p1 said:
Then there are the good Samaritans that just open my gates and mix the one bad neighbor's cows in with mine. :mad:

:devil2: :nod: :mad: -- or push them through your front yard, garden, and everything else on their way to the gate to mix the neighbor's cows in with ours... did I mention that you have to break water lines in the process as well? :mad:

Lammie":3sa74q23 said:

With the exception of the crippled bull they don't keep anything on their place. There is nothing there to eat and there isn't fence one on the north side of there "ranch".

Jogeephus":3je8xnnn said:
Lammie":3je8xnnn said:

With the exception of the crippled bull they don't keep anything on their place. There is nothing there to eat and there isn't fence one on the north side of there "ranch".

Then someone should call the county animal folks about him. That's cruel. And it puts motorists at risk.

When I saw the bull you have no idea how close I came to making the call. That's why I lost my temper and chewed the guy out. Maybe he will think about what I said. I'm afraid if I make the call to the animal folks some idiot will want to get their picture in the paper or worse yet on t.v. and this, I think, would do more harm than good. I don't know. I got really mixed feelings on this.

Jogeephus":3pxyx5dw said:
When I saw the bull you have no idea how close I came to making the call. That's why I lost my temper and chewed the guy out. Maybe he will think about what I said. I'm afraid if I make the call to the animal folks some idiot will want to get their picture in the paper or worse yet on t.v. and this, I think, would do more harm than good. I don't know. I got really mixed feelings on this.

I can't blame you for that. Might make a bad thing worse. I've never called anyone on animal cruelty but I've thought about it. And you are right. The local tv news folks love to get to a story like that. We had a high number of animal cruelty calls in Johnson County a few years ago and it was all right there on the news for everyone to see. Of course, that's not always a bad thing, but if it is just some old lady with Alzheimer's with 100 cats, then the poor lady isn't in her right mind and there's no reason to put it out there for everyone to see.

And when I worked for APS, I had to go on one of those 100 cat calls. She had dead cats in the freezer. Poor woman. Having gone through the dementia thing with my parents, I can say that they really don't know what they are doing and should not be held responsible for their actions, except to be taken somewhere safe and save the cats that can be saved.

Animal plantet again.when they go on one of those calls they get Elder Care involved.. the houses are usually stuffed full of newspapers and other trash to the roof with the cats,dogs and in one case rabbits..liveing and breeding in the mess. Usually the human sees nothing wrong with the situation.

Latest posts