Dang neighbor's bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I read that somewhere, on a fence charger pamphlet or wiring guide I think...I'll look into this and see what I come up with...don't want to pass missinformation, or electrocute cattle either.
Dave Mc

Brandonm2":3hk0fac4 said:
Don't pen the bull and charge the guy. It sounds like you have nicer cows and a nicer place than him. Don't kick the little people even when they deserve it; because some of them will hit you a lot harder than you can ever hit them. I got into it with some local dog hunters once who ignored my 'no tresspassing signs' and I ended up with my fences cut (repeatedly), a bulldozer radiator shot, gates shot up, a dog stolen, and 9 animals shot and many days spent tracking down the terrified survivors. Naturally the deputy laughed whenever he came out and nobody ever served any jail time. My advice is to run an electric wire down the fence with the neighbor and then go buy the biggest horned bull you can find, preferably one who's horns were never turned down. Let his bull get badly scarred up and I can guarantee you that he won't be able to borrow any more bulls. I know how to deal with any fourlegged animals. In my experience, it is the wars with the two legged animals that are the fights which really cost you.

My first thought is you could run him into a chute and steer him...

but I think buying a tougher bull may be the wiser approach - - and some Hereford blood would do you good!

bobrammer":3j3h7xuh said:
I think I'd just run a simple hot wire along the top of the fence.
Not very expensive, but should get the bull's attention.

thats what I have . once the bulls know its there they never get to close again . I had a problem last year when 3 bulls jumped the fence and ran into the other lot which didnt have fully grown grass. ran a hot wire all around the top of fence and viola . never happened again .

denoginnizer":2md7zofq said:
Is it a proven fact that cattle are less tollerent than humans to electric shock? Just curious
Well I work with electricity about every day. I've been shocked a fair number of times :shock: :eek: one way or another and I can't say I tolerate it any better now than the first time it ever happened.

Pellet gun in the cods will keep 'em from breeding your cows.

Might make him go back home too.

Well, I have the solution to your problem...... ya see...my new bull is queer...and I really can't afford a new one................maybe I could drive down your way and perhaps pick a free one up? ;-) Never to be seen again! :cboy:

Maybe the neighbor who lost the cow to him would like to hold his bull? Till they can trade back? Or you could call a medic fer what ails ya 8).
And I vote for the electric top wire at your place also.

1848":168try80 said:
Almost forgot! Don't admit to letting him "out" on the highway! Could be serious repercutions there!

that would be because some innocent person got killed because you intentionally turned livestock out on the road

Pen him. Load him. Take him 60 miles away. Release him.

Neighbour comes looking?

Haven't seen him.

Bez

Dusty Britches":2gcuwgyg said:
flaboy":2gcuwgyg said:
Dusty, it must be an Angus bull?

Ha, ha - you're funny :lol: Nope. My bull is Angus, but his bull is a Charolais. One neighbor has Angus bulls and the other has a big black cross bred bull.

Actually I was being serious Dusty. I have a hard time keeping my Angus bulls away from my old man Hereford (cross to be PC). I have always had these problems with Angus bulls.

Shoot the bast#%$. From a long range off of course. That way, if he's a long way from your fence, he can't really know who did it.

Dick

With all theproblems the bef industry is having with food safety issues, it is hard to believe that some of you would suggest shooting the bull with a shotgun. Those steel pellets can and do get in the meat.

The best bull I ever owned was not content to just breed my cows. He went calling in every direction from our place. I tried a nose ring with a 2 ft. chain, and putting a hot wire around most of the place. He wore the chain out at the ring. I wound up selling him to preserve neigbor friendships and because I did not have enough cows to satisfy him.

Hey BC - What does the nose ring and chain do? I've never heard of someone putting in a nose ring to keep a bull home. Wouldn't you worry about the chain being stepped on and ripped out of his nose?

I like Bez' Idea.

I see no sence in you losing a calf crop because your neighbor is an idiot.

flaboy":35colhf6 said:
Actually I was being serious Dusty. I have a hard time keeping my Angus bulls away from my old man Hereford (cross to be PC). I have always had these problems with Angus bulls.

Must be the lineage, flaboy! :lol: None of the Angus bulls in our area give people problems. Though I have heard Angus are known to wiggle through fences and are known for kicking.
Boy, my bull and his calves love to kick! I've heard Charolias bulls love to fight.

I think I'm going to get a tasar gun and shoot that bull with it. Then hog tie him and call the neighbor. Hee, hee hee. Then, he can deal with that bull when he unties him! :shock:

Actually, I talked to the extension agent. He recommended calling the sheriff while the bull was in our pasture. He said technically, the bull's owner was liable for any damages, but we'd be liable for injury. He too, recommended strong fence with a top strand hot wire.

Calling the sheriff to come pick him up would get him off the place and your neighbor would have to claim him and would have to pay storage fees, etc. This might make them take notice and do more to keep him home.

I'd think out how you handle it carefully though, because if any of your livestock ever end up on his place he'll return the favor and do to you as you've done to him.

One of my neighbors has livestock cross through the fence onto my place several times a year. Each time I either run them back through and repair the fence or pen them, load them and return them or call him to pick them up and then I repair the fence. I think "do unto others" finally paid off though because about two weeks ago my bull went through his fence and then onto another neighors property. I was called and I went and penned the bull and brought him back home and when I went back to repair the fence my neighbor who i'm always repairing fence for had already repaired it! What a surprise now I regret bad mouthing him in a previous post about neighbors.