Dang It

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":1r6rhxsw said:
I don't understand what makes them pick a spot for a dam . If you wipe out a bunch tear the dam out the next bunch will pick the same spot here.
Now we have hundreds of spring fed branches flowing to creeks. They seem to prefer them to the creeks here.
I don't know if it is terrain or flow rates but the beavers seem prewired to pick a certain spot.

What I have gathered is they have a pretty good sense of topography and elevation and construct their dams where they can flood the most land. They use the water for protection since they are fairly clumsy on land. The flooded land is also a buffet to them because of all the living plants and trees it puts in their safe zone.

On my place there was a bottleneck at a road I put through the swamp and they started stopping up pipes. I put hog wire in front of the pipes and they couldn't stop the water so after a year or two they went upstream about 50 yards and built another dam. I battled them here for a year or so till they built the mega-dam in the photo. This backs water up for several hundred yards till the elevation changes and here they built another and this is repeated for a mile or so. Each of these "lakes" has about 2-3 foot of water in them and when the water gets down to about a foot deep they build another.

I read where in Canada its illegal to drain the beaver ponds during the winter months because this would starve them to death. If only we got some subfreezing weather I would go rogue in a heartbeat.

I agree, they can't stand to hear their water leaving their ponds so if you breach a dam they will surely be back within a day or two to repair it. Since they will be swimming to the dam with debris to fix the dam you need to place leg hold traps out in front of the breach to catch them because a 330 or snare will get fowled with the debris they are carrying. Also, the leg hold needs to be set in about 8-10" of water and about two foot back from the point where the water is only 3-4" deep. The reasoning for this is the beaver will swim toward the breach with all the junk in his arms and when his elbows hit the dirt he will stop swimming and kick his feet down on the ground and start walking. Where he kicks his rear feet down is where the trap needs to be set.

I've also learned its always good to breach a dam just before it rains because after the rain they tend to check their fences so to speak and you can catch more than normal.

GB, in that open water canal I think I'd try snares set on poles. If you'll take castor and put on a cotton ball and fix this to the pole about a foot over the water then fix snares on the sides of the pole the beaver will smell the castor and swim around the pole trying to figure out how to pee on your scent ball and he'll get caught. Of course you channel may be to deep to use this setup but if yo can its a good one to use. Or you can use this in the channels they dig themselves. I'll put the bottom of the snare about three inches under water with a 10" opening. I've had a lot of luck with this setup snaring.

dieselbeef":186d8xeu said:
what about something like a giant fish trap..swim in..cant swim out? underwater hog trap?

I've seen live traps but they are expensive. Personally, I like snares because they are cheap and easy to make and you can set them in just a few minutes. The 330's work good to catch them swimming. I use a dive stick setup. Beavers will tend to ride the swiftest water so if you lay an old stick or a log just over the water and set the trap where the swiftest water is the beaver will dive under the obstruction and swim right in the trap. This is probably my third most successful setup. And those 330's are bad buggers.

frieghttrain":16wqo82q said:
How does a castor set work down there?

I've had nearly 100% luck with that IF I spend the time and set them up right and not cut corners. Still works when I cut corners just not as good.

TexasBred":j6lpjmwe said:
Caustic Burno":j6lpjmwe said:
Makes sense learned something today.
CB whatcha gonna do with all those pigs or have you already taken care of that. :lol:

There in the freezer. They are clear cutting 800 acres south of me and my neighbors and I have been
Invaded. Every neighbor on the county road has traps out.

Jogeephus":17dgh33v said:
frieghttrain":17dgh33v said:
How does a castor set work down there?

I've had nearly 100% luck with that IF I spend the time and set them up right and not cut corners. Still works when I cut corners just not as good.
Good to know. Nothing beats castor as a universal attractant :2cents:

I think that setup is similar to a dog peeing on a tire. They just can't help themselves.

I did some trenching yesterday and dug a 4' wide 4' deep 16' long ditch through one of the dams and its got the water flowing good. If my math is right its draining at a rate of 36,000 gal/hour. This morning I checked the area and the water level has dropped a foot. I hope to get some more trenching in today so maybe I can get most of the water off the trees by the end of next week if it doesn't rain. I know the beavers are going to be concerned over their water loss so I'll set out some more traps in this area in hopes of catching some more.

17022276_1685379568426602_2940666192073831972_n.jpg

I wish I did have a pirogue and have thought about getting one of those standup surfboard things because I think a boat would be too big and I don't know how well I could stand up on that board thing so I have to sludge my way through the muck and watch for snakes. Its not a friendly walk you might as well expect to be bleeding by the time you get out. I hate beavers.

Fixing to go down there at lunch and do some more trenching. These things aren't going to beat me.

trench by hand? with a shovel and axe by hand..seriously..id get me some tannerite and lay waste to it nd the beavers one night ..get em both at one time. cpl lbs make a good size hole

Jogeephus":3vafm4zs said:
I wish I did have a pirogue and have thought about getting one of those standup surfboard things because I think a boat would be too big and I don't know how well I could stand up on that board thing so I have to sludge my way through the muck and watch for snakes. Its not a friendly walk you might as well expect to be bleeding by the time you get out. I hate beavers.

Fixing to go down there at lunch and do some more trenching. These things aren't going to beat me.

The pirogue you could shoot out of and haul in you invasion equipment

dieselbeef":5d5gu73r said:
trench by hand? with a shovel and axe by hand..seriously..id get me some tannerite and lay waste to it nd the beavers one night ..get em both at one time. cpl lbs make a good size hole

:lol2: No, I'm not doing it by hand that would be a fool's errand and I'm too old to be chasing butterflies. I figure there is no need to work hard when you can work smart. I'm using Bangalore torpedoes and some other things. It takes a little time to get everything set properly but once set you'll have beautiful trenches equivalent to what a trackhoe could do in no time and the neighbors will hardly notice.

Here is one of the trenches I put in today at a bottleneck. The flow has doubled so I figure its draining around 72,000 gal/hour and after a couple hours the water level had dropped another foot. I'll have to hold tight for now since I've got to be careful how much water is released from this basin because I'm responsible for any damages the water might do downstream and I'm sending it downstream at a good click.

16999041_1685756645055561_1780062781762403009_n.jpg

Once the rapid water drop has subsided I'll go back and set more traps and hopefully do some serious thinning of these vermin.

Jo guy lives about 5 miles through the woods as the crow flies was working on them and said he got crossways with a rattlesnake. Weird weather they are already moving

It is very warm. Oaks are beginning to leaf out here. I saw my fourth snake yesterday but it was only a black racer. I went in the swamp today to check on things and didn't see any snakes but plenty of mosquitoes. Water level is lower than I've seen it in a long time and the pesky beavers don't seem to have tried to rebuild any of the dams. Maybe they are on the run.

Put together some 1/8" cable snares for pigs this afternoon. I hope to put some try them out tomorrow or Saturday.

Between the beavers and the pigs I'm staying pretty busy.

Been soaking my corn in strawberry jello it makes it irresistible to them or the can smell it from a long way off.
You can fool a hogs eyes and ears not his nose.
One pack of jello per 10 quart bucket.

Latest posts