Dang It

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, you know you'll only get one shot, not for long, and at a pretty small target if they're just swimming.
I've shot a couple at night with a .270. When shot, they do dance around a bit on top of the water..which makes the wait worth it.
I learned to just watch for the water to move the tiniest bit. A small wake is all they leave.
I watched a couple thru a borrowed night vision monocular one night and sure made me wish I could justify the cost of a NV scope. A green led rifle light works pretty good but nothing like the NV did.

For those that never saw them, their work is meticulous. You might think you can just start at the top and start throwing sticks off, but it's not that way. All weaved and intertwined together so securely, it's a royal pain to tear any of their construction apart. Here, they also cement it together with mud, muck and rotten vegetation from the pond bottom.
I cleaned out a big culvert 4 straight days--they rebuilt their dam every night, and were done well before daylight each time.

They are amazing builders for sure. And relentless. I've put hog panels in front of my pipes and though this doesn't prevent them from damming them up its a whole lot easier to clear the debris out.

The idea of them flopping around in the water in agony sounds like something I would enjoy.

Snared a strange looking beaver today.

17362492_1692851381012754_1322739875170707918_n.jpg

My luck would have been that little log roll out from under my left foot and I would be down in there amongst the critter...

greybeard":8wfgboo7 said:
My luck would have been that little log roll out from under my left foot and I would be down in there amongst the critter...

That's just a baby , his teeth are short plus if you fell in there with him he would prolly run because he was shyt and Pizzed on

dieselbeef":310g6630 said:
once that snare got tight ya should've shot it..

I didn't want to harm it because he can help kill the beavers or at least their pups. Had to get the catch stick on it so I could cut the snare off its neck and though he was small - only about six - foot I couldn't help but notice his jaws were much larger than those of my daughter's rottweiler so it was a little unnerving.

a 6 ftr will put a hurtin on ya with the death roll...I didn't think bout it eating beaver..altho a favorite pastime of my own I didn't know I shared that pleasure with gators

you've got yer family heritage in quite a position there sir