dang it

Help Support CattleToday:

fenceman

Reaction score
[/url[URL=http://s908.photobucket.com/user/fenceman11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0050_zpsycnylq4o.jpg.html][/url[URL=http://s908.photobucket.com/user/fenceman11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG0049_zps9rnjf9cs.jpg.html][/url[URL=http://s908.photobucket.com/user/fenceman11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/_20150815_090959_zpsr1jc68vr.jpg.html]

Checked my away here this morning. I saw this calf alive around the 5th. I'm 95 percent it was this calf. It's the cows second calf . I wasn't to impressed with her on her first. We had her at home being a hiefer she laid down right in the middle of the herd had her calf and in an hour had left it to go feed. She never seemed to proud of it. But she raised It.
When I saw her a week and a half ago with a new calf ,she didn't seem to proud. I saw her again about 5 days ago without the calf. Her bag looked nursed so I didn't worry. Figured she had it stashed somewhere.
There's a few questions I have to answer.
First I have to make sure it's her calf, before I haul her off. That'll just take a little time .
Second why did the calf die. My gut is a pos mama.
This is a 31/2 year pretty nice cow. Two things for sure if it's her calf she's gone. I gave her a second chance no thirds. She will be sold at auction. I don't do private treaty. She will be sold aged.
Do you breed her back and sell bred? She would probably have raised the calf in a smaller pasture imo. She calved within 12 months on her second calf.
Running between 40 and 50 mamas this is the first calf I've lost in 2 years. So I ain't crying. But you always like to know why .
I would enjoy any discussion on any of the questions I'm sorting through right now.

Edit my biggest question look at her bag, does she look like she just lost a calf to you?

Not sure there's a way of knowing any of that but a cow that doesn't pay attention to its calf is certainly a possible culprit especially in the dehydrating heat of texas. Heck, some of my newborns I have to get into the shade in michigan heat when they are too young or stupid to find it themselves.

If that is her calf, this is all that matters. She didn't impress you with her first calf, you surely aren't impressed by this dead calf. She is in good killing shape right now. Send her up the river

Not all are worthy of being breeding stock....no matter their genetics. My opinion is his one has shown her potential. She would be at the next and nearest sale. Ideally someone might be making hamburgers from her at a pre Labor Day party.

1982vett":sjh9ty9t said:
If that is her calf, this is all that matters. She didn't impress you with her first calf, you surely aren't impressed by this dead calf. She is in good killing shape right now. Send her up the river

Not all are worthy of being breeding stock....no matter their genetics. My opinion is his one has shown her potential. She would be at the next and nearest sale. Ideally someone might be making hamburgers from her at a pre Labor Day party.

x2

I'll be surprised if she goes to hamburger. She's a nice looking young cow, I'd think somebody will haul her home. If you breed her back she'll probably bring more money.

highgrit":3jlanwb2 said:
I'll be surprised if she goes to hamburger. She's a nice looking young cow, I'd think somebody will haul her home. If you breed her back she'll probably bring more money.
So you would love to be first in line with a fist full of money to buy her....

Her bag looks a bit tight, as in not empty.

If this is indeed her calf, she'd be on the trailer if she were mine.

A few years ago I had a 1st timer who cleaned up her calf,claimed it and 3 days later ditched it. I had a rodeo with the wench for almost 2 weeks and she never did accept that baby. I sold the cow to a guy that wanted her, I disclosed to him why I was selling her. He took a chance and she's still in his herd being a good momma.

Your cow, on the other hand, this is her 2nd time. I'd just haul her to the sale.

1982vett":3suzvvux said:
highgrit":3suzvvux said:

Yes, I would probably be bidding on her. I use the assumption that there's something wrong with every cow or heifer you see at the sale barn. Just because the cow doesn't work for him, doesn't mean she won't work for me.

his is one of those things where you need the calf tagged to match the cow then there is no question
on who the calf belongs to , sorry you lost 1 , I also had 1 that would lay in the sun , and try to cook
his brain , and had to move him to shade constantly
Suzanne

suzorse":293b963j said:
his is one of those things where you need the calf tagged to match the cow then there is no question
on who the calf belongs to , sorry you lost 1 , I also had 1 that would lay in the sun , and try to cook
his brain , and had to move him to shade constantly
Suzanne

We do that, but there's calves being born daily, this pasture is 500 acres and chocked with brush. There's tags in that truck. You don't always know right away who goes with who.

highgrit":293b963j said:
1982vett":293b963j said:
highgrit":293b963j said:

Yes, I would probably be bidding on her. I use the assumption that there's something wrong with every cow or heifer you see at the sale barn. Just because the cow doesn't work for him, doesn't mean she won't work for me.

Highgrit I couldn't agree more. Someone who can keep a eye on her could probably do ok.
I buy breds all the time outa the kill pen.
But I can't babysit for this little tramp.
I personally don't think there there would be anything wrong with selling her bred.
With that being said I'm going back late this evening. Calves should all be mothered up.
I figure she'll get sold Wednesday.

highgrit":1iputh1e said:
1982vett":1iputh1e said:
highgrit":1iputh1e said:

SOLD!............ ;-)

I figured a cow that's lost a calf would be mourning it. However, we've never lost one after they've nursed. (knock on wood) But, the memory of a mama with their dead baby is heartbreaking for sure.

I would let her regain some weight for a few weeks and then ship her. It looks like your grass is good, just dry. I darn sure wouldn't feed her through the winter which you would have to do to get her far enough along for a sale barn vet to call her bred.

Sorry you lost the calf I hate that. Some cows have it some don't some will leave their baby's no matter what just to be with the herd. I mean you never know what could have caused it unless you have it autopsied if I have doubts of why a cow or calf dies it gets tested. It may not even be the cows fault despite you saying she wasn't very motherly. If you haven't had it tested do so it will give you a piece of mind.

I had a real similar situation this year but I was lucky enough to find the calf and tube feed him for a few days and get him sucking. She never really made a lot of milk just enough to keep him alive. Have you ever had one get better on the next calf? I hate to cull her but I don't want to have to babysit one just to raise a dink every year.

I would probably sell that cow. I have gave very few another chance, where I thought, "boy I'm glad I did that". Calf that size, in this weather could have fallen victim to anything. I wouldn't rule out pneumonia.

Got one here that's taking a ride to town this fall.
Wouldn't claim her own calf last year, as a first-timer, but after a couple of days in the corral & chute, she took it - and even allowed the calf of a cow that was sick with metritis & mastitis to nurse her.
Calved out on pasture in a spot where I could not get her back to the barnlot this year. Would have nothing to do with her own calf; managed to graft it onto another heifer that calved hers into a pool of water and lost it. Week or two later, I'm checking cows, and here's this really nice calf nursing the non-claiming witch... since he's got 'two mamas' , he's growing off really well - and I'm letting her stay 'til fall weaning; otherwise, she'd have already taken a ride to town.

I wouldn't sell her as a bred personally. Not if I had doubts or probs with her twice. Yes, it might be buyer beware at the sale barn, but she'd have to go home with someone from the kill pen. I subscribe to the "do unto others" philosophy. I'd hate for someone as cow dumb as I am to buy her and fail. Not with today's prices. Heck, she wouldn't be around long enough to see a bull. LOL