Dang It.. Why Me !

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
A friend of ours lives in Michigan. He stays down here most of the time. He went home (Michigan) 3 weeks ago. I have been taking care of his horses,dog and cats. All had been going really good. That is until Thanksgiving . Sammy, has some neighbors out there with this monster of a dog. . This monster came over that thurs. evening. And Ruby and him got into it. I got Ruby calmed down and shoo'd the other dog off. Stay for awhile messed the horses and left. Friday everything was fine. Saturday morning I go over there and Ruby was limping and I could see she had been in a fight. I called Sammy and told him what was going on. Let me just take Ruby home with me for a few days. He said no. She would be alright. Well Sunday morning when I drove up Ruby was laying out in the yard not moving. My heart just sank. I walked up to her and she was still breatheing. I carried her into the stables. I got on the phone trying to call Sammy. Poor Ruby was hurt real bad.
Sammy uses a different vet than I do. I tried calling her and no answer. I guess with it being a holiday weekend no one was available. I tried to tell him let me take her to my vet. No his vet knew everything about her.
Ok ,so I load Ruby up in my truck and bring her home. She couldn't even walk.I gave her some water,which she did drank a little on her own. She would not even try to eat anything. Sammy had called around 8 that night and wanted a progress report on Ruby. I just about fell over. You stupid so-n-so did you not hear one word I said. OMG I was so upset.
Ruby passed around 2 am. I did what I could for her. But I feel so bad. I called to tell Sammy about Ruby and I called his wife by mistake. She called me back and told me she is not upset with me at all. But I was going to have to call Sammy and tell him she was not going too. She just hoped I buried Ruby on their property. I did not ,A friend of mine that lives down from our place came with his tractor and dug a hole for me. She said that was fine go fix a place on their property that looked like I had buried Ruby there.
I thought about this for a long time. I couldn't do that. I dug Ruby up this morning and took her home. It took me 3 hours to dig a hole deep enough for her. Not that she was a big dog. Because it had been so dry and he has clay dirt.
I called and left Sammy a message. I know that's not right. But if he would have just listened to me.
Do ya'll think I should call him ?

Joy of Texas":311x1r7t said:

Just let it be Joy.

Nothing you do will change what has already happened. We have all read enough of your words to know you are a stand up person. Sammy knows you are too. What until the time is right or until he asks. Put this behind you and go forward with things that are still within your control. It is too late for what has already transpired.

Sounds like you did a good job. Probably for the best in the end. Those two dogs may of never quit fighting untill one of them was dead. Unfortunant it had to happen when you were watching the place.

Joy ,From reading your post you did all that could be expected from you .The way I see it if he is upset the only person he has to be upset with is himself because he denied you from getting treatment for the dog so any outcome lies on his shoulders not your.

You did above and beyond what you could do...its unfortunate that you got thrown into the situation by coincidence :( hope things work out for you

I a not going to say anymore than I am sorry that you were put in that position. :(

It sounds like you are a better friend than they deserve..

From another point of view:

When my wife and I first got married I got a husky, we named her Kiki. We live on a lake that has a road around it that is bombarded with weekenders from Baton Rouge during the summer. One weekend my brother in law's brother let Kiki go (she stayed on a wire) without me knowing and she summarily ran up to the road to be hit by a car and she died within minutes in my arms before I my brother could arrive with a gun. To this day (10 years or so later) my brother in law's brother has never brought up the subject to even apologize. From my point of view it wasn't his fault that she got hit, but if your going to let her go, you need to at least watch her.

Not that this is even close to what happened with you Joy. You seemed to have done much more than you should be expected. You never know what kinds of relationship someone has with a pet (dog); it may be better that you explain in person. Maybe my situation is nothing like yours, but I would have respected my brother in law's brother much more if he had at least talked to me about it.

Sorry about your luck Joy . We had a dog named Sammy that got into a fight, got beat up pretty bad, but we figured he would be ok . When I came home from school he was dead, that was 40 years ago .

The dog no doubt had massive internal injuries . You did what you could do and when you dug that dog up and re-buried it, that really shows you're a person of integrity . Forget the whole thing and move on .

Larry

Thanks all for the support. This really got me down. I have decided not to call for right now.

Joy,
I am in agreement with the others. You went above and beyond, so I would not think a call was necessary. It's too bad things like that happen.

Joy of Texas":2ru0rwst said:
I called Sammy and told him what was going on. Let me just take Ruby home with me for a few days. He said no. She would be alright.

You did more than most people would have ever done to take care of his dog! You were there, he was not, he should have trusted your judgement. You probably still feel bad about it all but keep your chin up. You did a fantastic job with the situation that you were confronted with.

Joy of Texas":1i6tjzkw said:
A friend of ours lives in Michigan. He stays down here most of the time. He went home (Michigan) 3 weeks ago. I have been taking care of his horses,dog and cats. All had been going really good. That is until Thanksgiving . Sammy, has some neighbors out there with this monster of a dog. . This monster came over that thurs. evening. And Ruby and him got into it. I got Ruby calmed down and shoo'd the other dog off. Stay for awhile messed the horses and left. Friday everything was fine. Saturday morning I go over there and Ruby was limping and I could see she had been in a fight. I called Sammy and told him what was going on. Let me just take Ruby home with me for a few days. He said no. She would be alright. Well Sunday morning when I drove up Ruby was laying out in the yard not moving. My heart just sank. I walked up to her and she was still breatheing. I carried her into the stables. I got on the phone trying to call Sammy. Poor Ruby was hurt real bad.
Sammy uses a different vet than I do. I tried calling her and no answer. I guess with it being a holiday weekend no one was available. I tried to tell him let me take her to my vet. No his vet knew everything about her.
Ok ,so I load Ruby up in my truck and bring her home. She couldn't even walk.I gave her some water,which she did drank a little on her own. She would not even try to eat anything. Sammy had called around 8 that night and wanted a progress report on Ruby. I just about fell over. You stupid so-n-so did you not hear one word I said. OMG I was so upset.
Ruby passed around 2 am. I did what I could for her. But I feel so bad. I called to tell Sammy about Ruby and I called his wife by mistake. She called me back and told me she is not upset with me at all. But I was going to have to call Sammy and tell him she was not going too. She just hoped I buried Ruby on their property. I did not ,A friend of mine that lives down from our place came with his tractor and dug a hole for me. She said that was fine go fix a place on their property that looked like I had buried Ruby there.
I thought about this for a long time. I couldn't do that. I dug Ruby up this morning and took her home. It took me 3 hours to dig a hole deep enough for her. Not that she was a big dog. Because it had been so dry and he has clay dirt.
I called and left Sammy a message. I know that's not right. But if he would have just listened to me.

I do not often look after someone elses place - but when I do:

1. I follow his rules
2. I break the rules when necessary to help an animal

You did what you could.

I figure I would tell him in NO uncertain terms he is on his own in this matter from now on.

He may be a friend but he sounds like a poor one to me. Wife does not sound like a keeper either.

He does not trust the judgement of the person he trusts with his place and animals.

Therefore - he is also an idiot.

Pass on this job the next time he asks - and he will.

As for calling him - nope - he can go bugger off and find out when he gets home.

If I were you, I would avoid this person at all cost - he and his wife will not enrich yours - they will most likely make it poorer.

Regards

Bez+

Joy you are carrying guilt and responsibility for someone else. It is not your fault the dog died instead of getting treatment. If he wanted that dog dug up and moved he could sure have done it himself after he found out about what happened. Why are you jumping through hoops for this person?

Maybe you should call and tell him just to get it done and over with and off your mind.
After that, cut them loose.

Bez+":ej6phcmw said:
Joy of Texas":ej6phcmw said:

I do not often look after someone elses place - but when I do:

1. I follow his rules
2. I break the rules when necessary to help an animal

You did what you could.

I figure I would tell him in NO uncertain terms he is on his own in this matter from now on.

He may be a friend but he sounds like a poor one to me. Wife does not sound like a keeper either.

He does not trust the judgement of the person he trusts with his place and animals.

Therefore - he is also an idiot.

Pass on this job the next time he asks - and he will.

As for calling him - nope - he can go bugger off and find out when he gets home.

If I were you, I would avoid this person at all cost - he and his wife will not enrich yours - they will most likely make it poorer.

Regards

Bez+
Thank You Bez, You are so right. I will have to feed the horses until Jan.5,that is when he will be back. Over said with DONE. God Speed.