Dang Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts

Reaction score
So, I have one of my 2 year olds that is seriously HEAVY bred. I have been watching her for weeks, thinking she was close, but no luck so far. We had IVF done on her in November, and the tech told me she was right at 45 days bred (November 15). That would have put a calf on the ground around July 10. Another heifer that had been in heat the same time, calved Friday, but did not look as close, or miserable, as this one. If it weren't for the fact that we have been in a drought and been at 100 degrees or more for close to a week, I don't think I'd be as worried. I sit and watch her some, and she will be panting. I get her close to a water trough, and she "might" drink some. Other times I go out and she's chewing cud.
Do y'all think I should let her go a few more days?

Let her go until it is her "time". We had a cow this year that the vet called due on a specific day, 3 weeks after that day he palpated her again just to make sure the calf was still alive. Said the calf was alive and "right there" for birthing. 3 weeks later I went out to check her again, had been doing that multiple times a day for a month or more. There she was with her bull calf.

I would let her go and just check on her as you are doing. Bag did not look that tight from the back, until it looks like she is tight and in labour, no sense in rushing it. Had a heifer that was preg checked and supposed to calve by middle of june, just had a nice bull calf 2 days ago. These are bull bred so yeah it is a guestimate.....Got one more to go and I am just past the worried stage. She is either going to have it and probably got bred the last minute the bull was in there, or she is just fat now. As long as she doesn't act like she is in trouble, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape.

farmerjan":1unbxhuw said:
As long as she doesn't act like she is in trouble, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape.
Excellent advice

Wife just called me at work and said she is panting a lot right now (it's only 80 degrees out) and seemed to be struggling to walk. Went ahead and put a call in with the vet.

I'm just curious gg, not stirring. Aside from having a specific timing market for your calves, registered bulls/heifers or whatever, why would you breed to calve in our July/August time frame?

What do you consider "due".. 285 days? I've had several go up to 300+ days.. my herd average is around 288 and up to 295 is common
What did the vet say?

talltimber":3f39dw69 said:
I'm just curious gg, not stirring. Aside from having a specific timing market for your calves, registered bulls/heifers or whatever, why would you breed to calve in our July/August time frame?

Mainly due to the fact that she had been shown last summer and didn't get bred from the young bull she was with. We normally don't calve right now. That, combined with my wife and I having our second set of twins last year, really messed up a lot of timing on getting things done the way I like to.

Nesikep":1fj2t9ue said:
What do you consider "due".. 285 days? I've had several go up to 300+ days.. my herd average is around 288 and up to 295 is common
What did the vet say?

We stick pretty close to the 285 mark. Of course there are some outliers, but nowhere near pushing 300 days.
Vet and I talked back and forth 2 or 3 times yesterday. He is coming out today to evaluate her. When we first talked, he asked me to check her again and then call. Her breathing was fine, then about an hour later, she was panting again. This morning I have checked on her a few times, and the breathing is perfectly normal. She has a little stiffness walking, but I am sure that calf is probably causing that.

So, we had a 104 temp yesterday. Before the vet came out, I went in the pen she was in, caught her and led her to the barn. When he got there, I led her into the tub, and then pushed her up to the chute. After getting her temp, the vet was listening to her lungs, and she went completely nuts. Calf is in normal presentation. She did not calm down until about 30 minutes after he left, and is absolutely fine today, and still waiting on a calf.

Well... We finally got some rain last night. It has been too long since we have seen rain! I had mentioned to my wife that she'd probably calve, and that it would be a bull (last 2 born were heifers). Went out this morning, and saw this little guy before mama greeted me. Her breathing has been better, and obviously did not temp her yet today to see how that is doing, but she seems in much better spirits. I'd estimate his weight to be around the mid to upper 80s, but will weigh when I get home after work.

Edited to add: Picture is rotated correctly on my computer. Sorry for it not being correct here. Not sure what happened.

Doesn;t matter if he's standing on his head. Head up and looks to be cleaned off, good deal!

We're getting real rain here too. First measurable rain this month. Not as much as KC got but that's a good thing.

After it rained for about an hour last night, we finally got a couple of puddles to hold a little water. I call that a blessing too.

greatgerts":1f15xkbm said:
After it rained for about an hour last night, we finally got a couple of puddles to hold a little water. I call that a blessing too.
Good thing you aren;t on the other side of the state. Around KC you would have had to put pontoons on him.

Latest posts