dang custom balers

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well our custom baler quit balong our hay.had his wife call to say he couldnt finish baling the hay.he is in the hospital with high blood pressure.so i called a buddy to see how far behind he was.an he told me he could get to it it in 2wks give or take.so i told him to come an id show him the meadow.an he said he would buy any extra hay we have for sale.an he might even try for a fall cutting if we would let him have it.gonna charge $23 a bale.he is running a 468 JD.

That is exactly the reason that even with the extra costs and the extra (PITA) work, I'll alwasy have my own haying equipment

bigbull338":2n78vbwn said:
an he might even try for a fall cutting if we would let him have it

How generous of him. ( sorry I've been burned one to many times by custom balers,)

And people laugh when you say you own hay equipment.......

I have had to depend on a "custom baler" in the past. Never, never again. I'll bale my own, thank you.

grannysoo":1n8pcten said:

I have had to depend on a "custom baler" in the past. Never, never again. I'll bale my own, thank you.

You used a double negative there. That makes it a positive. So, what you mean is you will use a custom baler again. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

well weve used the custom baler that quit for 3 or 4yrs.an he has always drugg his feet when it came to baling our hay.an we are his biggest customer.his equipment is is just plum woreout.i was going to change custom balers last year.but mom wanted the old baler todo it.so when he quit on the job.i took it over an called a guy i knew would get to it fast.my friend runs all new equipment.so he can get in a meadow an move fast.

ga. prime":2f1x8hkj said:
grannysoo":2f1x8hkj said:

You used a double negative there. That makes it a positive. So, what you mean is you will use a custom baler again. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Let me rephrase that.... Never, Never, Never. Now we have a triple negative so it's back to a negative again.

Good luck bigbull. I know it's frustrating. If I were closer, I'd help you.

thanks its frusterating an im gonna try not to worry about it.i know my buddy will get it done when he can.he is gonna be in the hay field all this week.an if you was closer i know youd help me out.

grannysoo":1n9bvzke said:
ga. prime":1n9bvzke said:
grannysoo":1n9bvzke said:

Let me rephrase that.... Never, Never, Never. Now we have a triple negative so it's back to a negative again.

Good luck bigbull. I know it's frustrating. If I were closer, I'd help you.
Ain't it amazing----One picture is worth a thousand words !!! :tiphat:

You know all of us custom balers aren't evil and wicked
But yes we do have priorities and we are human and equipment breaks
and just because everybody that wants hay baled thinks their hay is the best and they are the most important customer is why I only custom bale for a few select customers anymore because I can't pull off of a 500 bale job to go do Jo Blows 50 bales because it is ready and he is crying
but I do schedule all of my baling and I do call all of my customers and keep them informed of when I am going to try and be there
I can't CONTROL BREAKDOWNS,WEATHER,SICKNESS OR DEATHS

I run fairly new equipment but it does still break down occassionally but when it is running I can bale 2-300 bales per day and their isn't any OLD equipment going to do that consistently therefore the reason I have to have new equipment not because I am making too much money

I have got rid of alot of the small timers and whiners because I charge a 100 bale minnimum and I also have a 3 bale to the acre minnimum so if I mow 50 acres and it only makes 100 bales tough $hit you owe me for 150 bales

Like I tell people that don't like having to pay what I charge or to wait on me to bale their hay when I can get to it then go spend $100,000 and bale your own 100 bales a yr

grannysoo":26m7otoj said:
ga. prime":26m7otoj said:
grannysoo":26m7otoj said:

Good answer!

i have no problem waiting on some1 to bale the hay.i have the problem when they put it off because they dont feel like baling hay.and or they enjoy clugg alugging while they are in the hay field thus tearing equipment up.we arnt small time have close to 150acs in hay.i figure when my buddy rolls in an starts cutting he will lay down between 150 an 200 bales.an thats not even cutting all the hay.

I've said it before and Dun beat me to it this time. The only reason to own your own baling equipment is so you can bale hay on YOUR schedule, not someone elses. The custom balers around my area are getting $25/bale, cut, rake and bale using string. $3 more for net. But there ain't any hay to bale this year except for rice straw. Most of the custom balers have hauled their equipment to the rice fields and would you believe I had a guy shoot me a price of $55/roll of rice straw!

lavacarancher":1eay8pwd said:
I've said it before and Dun beat me to it this time. The only reason to own your own baling equipment is so you can bale hay on YOUR schedule, not someone elses. The custom balers around my area are getting $25/bale, cut, rake and bale using string. $3 more for net. But there ain't any hay to bale this year except for rice straw. Most of the custom balers have hauled their equipment to the rice fields and would you believe I had a guy shoot me a price of $55/roll of rice straw!
that is robbery

yes a net wrap baler cost more and it cost a little over $1 per bale more for net than twine but I figure that the savings on time,fuel and wear and tear of the baler offsets the added cost of the baler over its lifetime so all I charge is $1 per bale more for net than twine

Bigbull you can buy all the hay you want around here for $25.00 dollars a bale. But its a long ways to Texas. $23.00 dollars seems steep for baling.

yes its pretty steep.ive been good friends with the guy thats going to bale it for 10yrs.an i know he is treating me fairly.they was charging $25 a bale in 2008.an came down to $23 this year.he may want to sq bale some of the field.an if he does im ok with that.because he has a place to go with it.an we only need another 80 bales more or less.

We only use custom balers. I think the issue here is putting all your eggs in one basket. Is there grass cut on the ground? I would atleast expect him to get what is cut, rolled.

There have been some simular situations around here and the hay balers helped each other out.

Latest posts