Dang cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
5F09B37C-3C32-4BEF-B764-A883B47A1127.jpeg97CF36A2-F272-4C47-8D83-1A2E93FD2342.jpegOk here is my situation. Cow calved last Tuesday and all seemed well. Went out Wednesday after work and found them doing good. Now since then I haven't seen the calf and the cow sticks with the herd. Usually around a week the calf is up and following momma but no sign of her. I have searched the fields and what little bit of woods I have. Sat with the herd last night and waited to see if she would break off and go find her calf but she didn't leave. Looks like her udders are strutted but the other morning it looked like she may have been milked. How long before I give up on finding a calf.

If the cow isn't bawling for it then it's most likely hidden. I've had cows that won't go to it if you're in the area because they don't want you to know where it is. They're masters at hiding, sometimes you can only find them if the calf stands up to stretch. If you go looking for it you need to be very careful not to run over it.

That's what I'm hoping for. If the calf don't show in a week or so I have someone wanting some freezer beef and she may be a good candidate. Hoping the calf shows up and I don't have to go that route but at least I have a backup plan.

If the cow isn't bawling for it then it's most likely hidden. I've had cows that won't go to it if you're in the area because they don't want you to know where it is. They're masters at hiding, sometimes you can only find them if the calf stands up to stretch. If you go looking for it you need to be very careful not to run over it.

. . . or spook it. I've seen them jump up and run through a barbed wire fence and keep going.

Hmmm, sounds similar to a recent thread. Hope she's just hiding it, but it's always been my experience only for the first few days - unless something's wrong.

Hmmm, sounds similar to a recent thread. Hope she's just hiding it, but it's always been my experience only for the first few days - unless something's wrong.
I agree. After the first few days I figure it was just hiding it. Now I'm not so sure. Have them on 60 acres right now and I'm thinking on keeping them on half and see if she tries to go over to the other side. I did just move some other cattle to be weaned on Sunday to another paddock so the other mommas where bawling but not this cow.

I agree. After the first few days I figure it was just hiding it. Now I'm not so sure. Have them on 60 acres right now and I'm thinking on keeping them on half and see if she tries to go over to the other side. I did just move some other cattle to be weaned on Sunday to another paddock so the other mommas where bawling but not this cow.
Good luck and please keep us posted. I don't want to be the buzzkill that ruins the party, but a missing calf after "normal" hiding is a red flag.

Earlier looked like she was calling and hanging behind. Going to check on her soon since the sun has gone down and I can't see her from the house.

I haven't checked on her this morning yet. Saw her with the herd still. I will update when I get back from getting some fuel.

It's always a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with these newer calves missing/hiding.
Usually it's a 'hiding' thing and there is nothing to worry about, just a momma cow telling her calf to stay put, even at a week old. But at times that's not it and you should definitely keep on looking. A week old.......could have come down with navel infection, quit eating as much, got dehydrated and is now too weak to stay with the herd.
I'm not saying that's it, but that's why I refer to damned if you do damned if you don't.
Let us know when you find it and what happened.

All that sunnyblueskies suggested, plus fatal injury from being stepped on. That's what happened to a week-old calf one week ago, but in my case the mom was standing over it calling for it to get up.

Latest posts