Dang Bulls!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
Bull trouble here in the Ozarks. Had a nice bull calf born last night to the fall cows, 4 weeks early. Looks like the neighbors bull must have snuck over. Preg checked the few spring cows we have and the new bull that we put in with them in May only stuck 2 out of 9. He was 15 months old when we put him in. I had something come up on the BSE date and ended up just turning him out; definitely kicking myself in the a$$. He seems lazy. He doesn't hassle the cows in heat near enough and appears to be very indifferent about the ladies. He's getting wheels after I talk to the seller. One of the heifers he sold us is open after several heat cycles also. I don't expect anything but am friends with the guy so he'll find out eventually.

I'm thinking of turning our other bull in with these cows now and then selling them as second stage cows after the first of the year. I could then buy cows or pairs to get my calving date back to 3/1. I could bred them and keep them even though they will calve 3 months later than we want; don't really like calving in summer. Or I might just haul them now and look to buy some bred cows or pairs in the spring. I have a bunch of grass so mineral and a couple of bags of feed to catch them and move them will be my only expenses. Thoughts?

J my only thought is- Skipping an annual BSE is like rolling down the windows in your truck and leaving your wallet on the dash. Eventually, you're gonna lose your azz.

Breeding soundness exam.

I know, it's like playing with a loaded gun. Dang bull was packing much of a load though I guess.

Working 8-5 it's hard to get a bull into the vet. Vets around here aren't much on after hours or weekends it seems. No excuse, I should have found a way.

That sucks for sure, Our bulls are purchased and have had a bse done, and we try to get one done on them the following year if they are kept, but I completly understand how things go somtimes too. We just did not get it done on 2 of our bulls this year. I did however watch the group they were with like a hawk, noting when the bull bred them and then watching for their repeat dates to be sure they did not come back in. knock on wood I think we are ok. I guess it depends if they are really good cows wether you keep them. Cull prices here are pretty good, but bred cow prices are not bad either.
Jenna

J&D Cattle":1vsknf7x said:
Bull trouble here in the Ozarks. Had a nice bull calf born last night to the fall cows, 4 weeks early. Looks like the neighbors bull must have snuck over. Thoughts?
Snuck over and went back home afterwards? You're lucky, when I've had that happen he wants to stick around like an in-law and eat up the groceries.

Cowgirl_jenna, that's the best way to know if the bull is doing his job. I find it hard to believe folks don't pay attention to their cows. We don't BSE our bull every year, but if I saw him with the same cow twice I would be keeping a sharp eye on the herd. We breed year round but I can tell you within 3 weeks when one of our cows will calve. Record keeping is the key, write it down when the bull was with # so and so. It's really easy once you get use to doing it. And you won't have any train wrecks that way.

highgrit":2dm8yqev said:
Cowgirl_jenna, that's the best way to know if the bull is doing his job. I find it hard to believe folks don't pay attention to their cows.
We don't BSE our bull every year, but if I saw him with the same cow twice I would be keeping a sharp eye on the herd. We breed year round but I can tell you within 3 weeks when one of our cows will calve. Record keeping is the key, write it down when the bull was with # so and so. It's really easy once you get use to doing it. And you won't have any train wrecks that way.

No offense Highgrit but if that is your method of determining your bulls potency then you could be several cycles into your breeding on any given set of cows before you observe that he has just bred a cow for the third time. Why not get him tested once a year, maybe twice if you are running a year round program. Seems like cheap insurance to me!

greybeard":hnejqknb said:
J&D Cattle":hnejqknb said:
Bull trouble here in the Ozarks. Had a nice bull calf born last night to the fall cows, 4 weeks early. Looks like the neighbors bull must have snuck over. Thoughts?
Snuck over and went back home afterwards? You're lucky, when I've had that happen he wants to stick around like an in-law and eat up the groceries.

A buddy stopped when he saw the fence tore up by the gate. He drove in and the bull turned and ran back out through the hole and back across the county road. Pretty lucky.

I had same thing happen this year on a bull that had been tested good before the sale I bought him from. He must have got injured on sale day or on delivery. Either way he didn't settle a thing and he is now burger!!

Calhoun Farm":j496m1ve said:
How much typically does a BSE cost?

Location location location! :)
Out here, we get charged $95, but that includes a Trich test, which is mandatory if he is not a virgin bull. I would gladly pay that, and do, giving my customers piece of mind knowing the bull they are buying is clean and ready to work!

Oh, and I forgot to include, they do BSE's at several different clinics over several days (the extension), twice a year, and if you bring your bull in during that time they will vaccinate and worm your bull for free! Pretty good if you ask me! They are trying to get more cattlemen to test their bulls, including Trich, since we are HOT right now with it!!!

Latest posts