Dandruff

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordgurl

Reaction score
I have a steer that has extremely flaky skin and it almost looks like his skin is peeling. Since we shaved his hair short a while ago I was wondering if this might be sunburn. But he has had dry skin ever since he was a calf, just never this severe. Is there any kind of oil I could mix in with his feed to help get rid of the dandruff?

This is going to sound really silly but.... we've got a calf that is like that. My daughter rubbed some cheap lotion on the spots a couple of times and it went away. As for the cause I don't know. Some cattle seem to develop a really thick crusty type of dandruff looking condition that lasts for several months. It doesn't seem to be contageous, but it will eventually go away. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Could very well be sun burn. I saw a donkey a few weeks back burnt badly. They said they shaved it because it had some problem with the skin. Now it really does! I told them to keep to poor guy in the shade until his hair grows back. Usually a good wormer will take care of the dandruff looking stuff as it is usually a parasite.

We shaved their hair so that they would look better in show, worked too, I got third, anyway the vet was up and said that my fella has mange. As long as i Brush the dandruffy looking areas everyday the UV rays will kill the bugs off.

Thanks for the help.

herefordgurl":2zcp5bns said:
We shaved their hair so that they would look better in show, worked too, I got third, anyway the vet was up and said that my fella has mange. As long as i Brush the dandruffy looking areas everyday the UV rays will kill the bugs off.

Thanks for the help.

IVOMEC will kill those bugs!

Yes, the vet said that too, but if the sunlight will kill them, I'd rather try that first than spend money, we ivomec them anyway when they go in for the winter so they are going to get it sooner or later.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":288ixuxp said:
Mange mites will spread to other animals. Why not Ivomec sooner rather than later??? Remember they are live bugs & they will be crawling on you too!

I agree. I have a replacement that had them and I treated her twice with Ivomec in a two month period. Took care of them too. No signs on the other replacements.