damm snow!!

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
Well we had 6+ inches of snow here the other day. I've got one group of cows that are digging. There is hay stubble sticking through the snow. I think they will be fine. I have another group up the road that have been out on Corn and hay stubble since the middle of Oct. Not much sticking through there. I guess I'll have to get the round bales out. I thought I'd get to the end of Dec. but I guess not!

You know from 1985-2005 the odds was in your favor for early winter grazing. 2005-2010 it has not been. I guess I will have to blame it on "global warming". :roll: :D

1982vett":2b2lf8sz said:
No snow... no rain... and no winter grazing.....

We are closer to this condition. we finally got a little rian beginning in mid October but most of the opportunity to grow grass for stockpiling was gone by then. We are still way behind in mositure for the year.

We had a skiff of snow over the weekend. Maybe a half inch Sunday morning. As long as it is not as brutal as last winter.....snow and wet all winter ....stuck all the time...could not plant spring crops and then in early May the rain just stopped. basically nothing from May til mid October.

cold as the devil here now. well cold for here in December....

Six inches? HA! That's nuthin'! Last week we got around a couple feet (~21 inches to be exact) of snow all in one day! The snow's up to my hips, and if we still had cattle, it would certainly be a lot of fun pushing snow to make trails for those poor beasts to get from the bales to the waterers. The blizzard that passed through certainly made quite the pile of snow in front of the quonset doors... :roll:

If I had to do winter grazing up here this winter, it'd be bale grazing, 'cause swath-grazing and stockpile-grazing would be completely out of the question.

Last year we had snow covering ground from 18 Dec till 1 March. Worst year i can remember.

Snow early December was just melted enough for brouse, and now 4 in and counting on Christmas day. I work for DOT as well so you know what that means. I hate snow. Good news is late next week weather changes into high 40's. Bad news is High 40's means mud.

Not sure what to wish for, but good lord willing we have enough hay for to last till we can rotate into good pasture.

It is suppose to be 45 degrees today. Friday it will be a high of 54 at noon and then drop to 15 degrees that night. Suppose there will be any wind that night :roll: ? We've got around 20 inches on the ground. I think most of it will be gone. We had a big snowfall in Dec before any frost got in the ground. So it will melt on both sides. Slop then ice...joy! :)

regenwether":2gs615rw said:
Well we had 6+ inches of snow here the other day. I've got one group of cows that are digging. There is hay stubble sticking through the snow. I think they will be fine. I have another group up the road that have been out on Corn and hay stubble since the middle of Oct. Not much sticking through there. I guess I'll have to get the round bales out. I thought I'd get to the end of Dec. but I guess not!

You know from 1985-2005 the odds was in your favor for early winter grazing. 2005-2010 it has not been. I guess I will have to blame it on "global warming". :roll: :D

You know, you might want to change your paradigm - especially if you irrigate. I am fully aware what a pain in the ass snow can be, and all of the problems it can cause when it comes to feeding. But the fact remains that it does give the land a boost in the way of moisture and helps a whole helluva lot when spring rolls around. Everything has a price, and you, I, and a whole lot of other people are paying it right now. ;-)

regenwether":36qgkxw7 said:
It is suppose to be 45 degrees today. Friday it will be a high of 54 at noon and then drop to 15 degrees that night. Suppose there will be any wind that night :roll: ? We've got around 20 inches on the ground. I think most of it will be gone. We had a big snowfall in Dec before any frost got in the ground. So it will melt on both sides. Slop then ice...joy! :)
I realize the "slop" isn't any fun.......neither is staring at the sky wondering when the weatherman's forecast for rain is actually going to be right. It is hell of a lot easier to grow grass in the spring after a sloppy winter than one without any moisture of any kind.

Yeah. I realize that those that irrigate would rather it not rain. Rain only messes up their calendar. For the rest of us that rely on rain it is a different story. So kwitcurbitchin.

I did not mean to offend you folks that are dry! :oops: The wild swings in the weather here can drive a guy nut! :roll:

regenwether":5nwpkf1s said:
I did not mean to offend you folks that are dry! :oops: The wild swings in the weather here can drive a guy nut! :roll:
Have the same swings here...last year this time it was mudder'n hell after spending 3/4s of the year in drought. Had 3/4 years rainfall in 4 months. 2010 ended up 12-14 inches behind for the year on a 36-38 inch average.

Guess we're even now on the kerbitching.... :lol: