Dam beavers

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I finally had enough of having the fix fence where the beavers fell trees across it. They have the river dammed up. That will have to be removed before the spring high waters. Otherwise it will push the river out into the fields. Yesterday we set two traps. This morning there are two less beavers. It is a start.

Attachments

• PC212287.JPG
    PC212287.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 4
I always enjoyed trapping them. Definitely amazing creatures but God do they make a mess! Good luck once you get them sometimes it's a loosing battle getting rid Of them. I've trapped them out and they've stayed out then I've trapped them and the fallowing year had to trap them again

Caught another one this morning. This is a fast flowing stream with very rocky bottom and banks. There is just a sparse single row of cottonwood trees along the river. They have already cut 25% of the trees. Come spring run off there will be 5 or 6 feet of water over the top of their dam. Most likely wash the dam out. I have trapped lots and beavers back when I ran a long line trap line. This is not good beaver habitat. I was hoping they would figure that out and just move on. But they didn't........

Had a single toe in a trap this morning. Things are icing up pretty good. Might not have much more success until things warm up a bit.

Beaver were a buck an inch back in the day. Valuable enough that some would poach them. What is the price today?
XXL+ dark beaver $15, might get lucky with 20 at auction, if they sell. Everything else is 5-10.
Upside is castor has double to 80-100/per lbs.

I finally hit mine hard enough last winter and spring that I haven't seen any nor any sign since about April, but in that same time span, we also haven't had any high water that could provide inter-connectivity between pond and the river.
I'm sure the river is still full of them, just waiting..

Dave, are you getting this rain on your side of the mountains? it's been bucketing here!
Woke up to snow yesterday. About noon it quit snowing and turned to a light rain. Then around 10:00 last night it was raining pretty good. I haven't been outside yet this morning but looked out and the snow is gone for the most part.

Woke up to snow yesterday. About noon it quit snowing and turned to a light rain. Then around 10:00 last night it was raining pretty good. I haven't been outside yet this morning but looked out and the snow is gone for the most part.
we had a heck of a storm last night too, POURED all night, this morning is sunny, no frost in the ground anymore, chickens are finding all sorts of drowned worms... WORMS,.. IN JANUARY!!!!????

We've had over 8 inches of rain here this month !!
My friend in Mission BC said they had more rain in the first week of january than an average complete january month!
I follow TDF Honest farming from Tillamook OR, they're flooding like heck

Just under 4" here in the last 24 hrs. Tillamook is in a bay adjacent to the Pacific Ocean. Flooding is a normal occurrence for an area thats gets an average of ~ 88"/year with the majority of it in ~ 3 months. Lots of areas in the northern coastal areas of CA get upwards of 150" in the wet season with substantial flooding being the norm. Pretty good guess the old timers in those areas are getting a chuckle outta those who are fussing about flooding.

Where I lived on the coast the average rainfall for December and January was over 10 inches each month. I am loving it here where the average annual rainfall is about 10 inches. Over there the Chehalis river was just out my back door. It flooded at least once every year. Between deeded and leased land I had just under 300 acres of pasture. There was a couple times when I only had about 3 acres that wasn't under water.

Just under 4" here in the last 24 hrs. Tillamook is in a bay adjacent to the Pacific Ocean. Flooding is a normal occurrence for an area thats gets an average of ~ 88"/year with the majority of it in ~ 3 months. Lots of areas in the northern coastal areas of CA get upwards of 150" in the wet season with substantial flooding being the norm. Pretty good guess the old timers in those areas are getting a chuckle outta those who are fussing about flooding.
the guy that runs TDF says he's pretty used to it, it's definitely an inconvenience and makes chores harder, but as long as it stays out of the barns it's not too bad.. it's bad if there's power loss, milk pumps go bad, etc.