Dairy

Help Support CattleToday:

beef all i was saying is this the dairy will eat your lunch.esp if you dont have a keep a grip on things.as for youe scc count 750,000 will get your permitt yanked.when i quit milking they was wanting to lower scc to 500,000.an here is the biggie the epa will inspect your dairy every year.an you better not tick them off.nor do you want to tick off your state milk inspector.b/c if you do he will quickly show you who the boss is.an if youve made him madd in the past.better hope you dont het your permitt yanked.b/c he can take up to 30days to grade you back on.

you also have to remember the cost of qouta in canada its almost hitting 30,000 per kg and the dairy heifers are worth nothign trust me i wokr on one the only thing that maeks money is the milk in comparioson the last two years my boss made 75k in 2004 sellign cows and in 2005 he made 25k

born2run":bhikt5mm said:
If you've thought through it, than great! With milk prices steadily going down and the price of replacements I'd think long and hard. Former boss told me that he expects prices to be at $11.50 soon. The futures I've seen say $12.01. Draw from that your own conclusions.

Ditto to that...I've heard $11/cwt to break even. So you make a profit of $1/cwt - not much, is it? Springers in Jerome averaged $2200 last week, I believe. Fellow who sold out a few years ago locally, with a 70lb+ herd average got $1400/ea for his milking cows and they were shipped to another dairy. I haven't sat down with a pen and paper, but a $1400 cow, even if she is milking 70lbs/day, is going to take quite a bit of time before she's paid off her initial cost - and then she might start to make you money, provided all goes as planned.

ET sounds like an intriguing undertaking and with sexed embryos and good recips may work very well, BUT - the cows themselves have to pay their way for another 9 months after you get them to stick. If you are keeping the heifers out to springers then that's an additional 2 years before you start getting paid on them. You've likely thought that all through, but it never hurts to look it over one more time.

And then the million and one problems you can deal with on a sensitive dairy cow - esp during the time prior to calving and just after - and of course mastitis.

If you decide to go ahead and make the decision to buy it, I of course wish you the best of luck. :D

The way i see it is, I need to get that big boar shot but that might have to wait. If milk prices are low then historically cow prices drop in accordance to balance out the earning/value ratio. Low prices are a great time to get in. Just you have the disadvantage of getting setup and dealing with low prices. If you do it on the inverse, you are just gearing up to full steam when the prices are falling. Ideally i would like to build steam as prices climb. I guess it goes back to the buy low sell high philosophy. Economics are the key to this deal as well as exploiting any and all of my advantages. I am not outrightly purchasing these properties up front. I'm going to use a lease option to free up capital and keep my debt to income intact. I am definetly using a different approach to this than the previous owners did. It would be stupid of me to do the same thing as the previous outfit did and expect to do well when they went broke. I do have a experience on both sides of the fence (dairy/beef) as well as education.

Beef11":3ijs8xi0 said:
I've been around enough to know the ins and outs of the dairy gig. I've been in the AG gig most of my working life.
What's a Dairy Gig and an Ag Gig.

Loose term, in this context it is refering to a number of Agricultural activities generally. I guess i was trying to not get to specific. If you want i could post my resume to see if i qualify.

Beef11":2lnc9vym said:
I might have just officially made the jump from beef to Dairy. I just got off of the phone with a gent whom i have been negotiating with about aquiring a Dairy from. I haven't gave him the yes yet but i'm thinking pretty dang serious about it. It seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

If you've done your due dilligence and it is what you wish to do, then do it. Forget the nay sayers. I doesn't matter if they tell you "you can't" as long as you always ask yourself "how can I?" The worst thing that could happen is a learning experience.

rkm wrote:
Like any ag production enterprize you have to have a passion for it.

I'm not convinced that that statement is true.

That sure is an interesting thought, I would definitly say that passion is an asset but...

Beef11":1j8skbnq said:
rkm wrote:
Like any ag production enterprize you have to have a passion for it.

I'm not convinced that that statement is true.

That sure is an interesting thought, I would definitly say that passion is an asset but...

Exactly. It is BENEFICIAL. But not a NECESSITY.

Good news. I found another place close to my first one. I'm going to try to tie it up also. Talked to the old boy today. He is a farm kid turned city man. He liked the idea so far (why wouldn't he, the money is green).

Latest posts