Dairy

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I might have just officially made the jump from beef to Dairy. I just got off of the phone with a gent whom i have been negotiating with about aquiring a Dairy from. I haven't gave him the yes yet but i'm thinking pretty dang serious about it. It seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

Beef11":31tipdjz said:
I might have just officially made the jump from beef to Dairy. I just got off of the phone with a gent whom i have been negotiating with about aquiring a Dairy from. I haven't gave him the yes yet but i'm thinking pretty dang serious about it. It seems like a pretty reasonable deal.

Take two aspirin a fifth of Jack and sleep on it you have obivously hit your head my friend.

Beef11":59y4q8u7 said:

Of all the talk on how hard it is to make a living with beef cattle and you want to go dairy. Think you could loose your butt any quicker.

Scotty

Let alone the time commitment needed from you. Morning and night milkings 24/7/365. On a time schedule to boot. Forget about doing anything else but milking cows at scheduled time. An event comes up or something else you would like to do at milking time - forget it, those cows need milked. Exactly why I won't let hubby talk me into getting back into the dairy business even though everything's sitting there ready to go.

Take two aspirin a fifth of Jack and sleep on it you have obivously hit your head my friend.

I'm glad we have so many optimists among us. Don't worry i'll get some more beef cows in a couple years. THis deal just seems like it will work out well. I'm going to trade in my rentals for a dairy. after all cows are easier to deal with than people.

Beef11":13nid1yy said:

I'm glad we have so many optimists among us. Don't worry i'll get some more beef cows in a couple years. THis deal just seems like it will work out well. I'm going to trade in my rentals for a dairy. after all cows are easier to deal with than people.

Do you have the experience that is needed to make a dairy work? It sure isn;t an undertaking to be started without a lot of background and knowledge. The complexities of succesfull dairying are far greater then beef cattle.

dun

Milking cows for a living is not something you try. It could be a expensive experment. And I don't mean just money. Like any ag production enterprize you have to have a passion for it. Make sure your family is with you on this.

If you've thought through it, than great! With milk prices steadily going down and the price of replacements I'd think long and hard. Former boss told me that he expects prices to be at $11.50 soon. The futures I've seen say $12.01. Draw from that your own conclusions. How many were you planning to start out with, and what type of milking facilities will you have?

Beef11":1tgrod5h said:

Beef11 - instead of "optimists" you should of said "realists". Hopefully you have done your homework on the business side of things (business plan). Just don't let your emotions run over the facts. If you have all the facts and the numbers work, and this is something you want to do....then go for it. Thinking about the life and living the life may be worlds apart. Perhaps you can go work for this dairy farm for a month (7days a week) or more and see if you feel the same way. If you go ahead with it, I am sure the realists on here will support you ... :cboy:

Michele

Perhaps you can go work for this dairy farm for a month (7days a week) or more and see if you feel the same way.

If that doesn't work than come my way. :D My boss hires practically anyone with a pulse who is willing to work. Got a text message from the daughter at 12 AM last night wanting to know if I'd work 1st shift. Don't think so! :roll: I'm there 6 days a week; I don't need double shifts.

I've been around enough to know the ins and outs of the dairy gig. This would be a major undertaking, I have a partnerand we are geared up to have some hired help. This operation will have an extensive ET program instead of the typical AI program. We are gearing up to sell heifers. Will start small and build from there. Thanks for your concern, I've been in the AG gig most of my working life.

dun":okps44ru said:
The complexities of succesfull dairying are far greater then beef cattle. dun

That's an understatement. The complexities regarding the dairy business can be mind-boggling.

If you choose to go this route Beef11 I wish you all the best.

Katherine

IMO - "small" and "hired help" don't work in the same sentence. If you are small, you won't be able to afford the hired help. If you have hired help, then your not small. Starting out big enough to need hired help sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm working on a detailed business plan, actually more of a farm wide operating procedure. You are right about the complexities. Nutrition, Reproduction, waste management, calves, feed aquisition just to name a few.

I wish you the very best. We need people going into the dairy industry to replace the little guys that are being drove out.

May get laughed off the boards...but have you thought of going organic with the dairy? We have been having our beef customers begging us to supply their milk. I think the laws vary from state to state in regard to its feasability. But the margins are higher for alittle more work to sell direct.

Horizon Dairy (you folks in the west would know more about them than I do) seems to be doing well with organic, so I won't laugh at you. Know at least one farmer locally that does produces organic milk and is very happy with it.

oh man did i read what i think i read.beef11 going into the dairy business.youve made your 1st 2 bad misstakes right off the bat.hiring it all done.an going into ETwork.now you wont last 6months.wait till your somatic cell count shoots up to 1 million.or your PI count gose to 20,000.youll be on your knees with cows full of mastitis an offline in a heartbeat.$9/100 feed an $11/100 milk dont jive.now then hired labor.i doubt if you will stay in paying someone bare min $2000 a month to milk 6 days a wk you have to earn the right to hired labor.i think you need to try milking 7 days a wk w/o missing a milking before you bite that chunk off.as for your beef cows theyll go to sale barn,to try to catch you up when you get behind on the bills.so beef11 think long an hard.before you jump.b/c the dairy is 24/7 365.an no mercy for the weak.

oh man did i read what i think i read.beef11 going into the dairy business.youve made your 1st 2 bad misstakes right off the bat.hiring it all done.an going into ETwork.now you wont last 6months.wait till your somatic cell count shoots up to 1 million.or your PI count gose to 20,000.youll be on your knees with cows full of mastitis an offline in a heartbeat.$9/100 feed an $11/100 milk dont jive.now then hired labor.i doubt if you will stay in paying someone bare min $2000 a month to milk 6 days a wk you have to earn the right to hired labor.i think you need to try milking 7 days a wk w/o missing a milking before you bite that chunk off.as for your beef cows theyll go to sale barn,to try to catch you up when you get behind on the bills.so beef11 think long an hard.before you jump.b/c the dairy is 24/7 365.an no mercy for the weak.

Geez bigbull you know more about me than i do. I hope i don't do as poorly you plan on me doing. I'm not hiring it all done but I have enough money to budget someone in to help out on the deal. The ET program is the crown jewel of this deal, Once that comes on we will be off to the races. Any suggestions on how to avoid the 1000000 SCC?

Latest posts