Dairy in beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

I switched from my Holstein dairy herd to beef about 35 years ago. my first beef calf was from a Holstein cow. when she calved, she would drip milk out for a month after she calved; even after her calf sucked. She did have a set of twins once and raised them both with no problem. I now have 4th or 5th generation offspring from that cow, and they are some of my favorite cows in the herd. never had a problem with original beef cow breeding back. the first couple generation calves still had the dairy cross look, but now they all have the beef look and still seem to milk well. Even now, one of her offspring supplies more milk than her calf sucks until it gets a couple weeks old. Even with the good results from that cow, I would not recommend crossing beef cows with dairy bulls. some of the dual purpose bulls may work out good for what you want to try. Hope whatever you try works out for you.

Back in the winter i had the opportunity to buy some dairy stock for dirt. They were poor and in need of a lot of attention, but have come to life this summer. I have 4 Holstein/holstein cross cows, 4 brown swiss and 2 that i think are jersey/brown swiss crosses. I dont plan to keep these cows as brood cows, but i do plan on keeping all heifers from them for a few years to build a herd for my property around my house. I have an angus bull on them that i used to moderate the size in my beef herd (brangus) a few years ago. His heifers are usually moderate in size for the angus breed, but have good deep bodies with some length to them. I guess i'm wanting to waste money with this experiment, but my wife has fallen in love with the Brown Swiss cows, so i plan to see where i can take the cross.. I plan to keep this bull for its maternal traits for a few years and then put a terminal bull on them to see what i can get. Good luck with whatever you try. I think a dairy influenced sire wouldn't be a terrible way to do it, but be careful with birth weights.

Hardin Farms said:
Back in the winter i had the opportunity to buy some dairy stock for dirt. They were poor and in need of a lot of attention, but have come to life this summer. I have 4 Holstein/holstein cross cows, 4 brown swiss and 2 that i think are jersey/brown swiss crosses. I dont plan to keep these cows as brood cows, but i do plan on keeping all heifers from them for a few years to build a herd for my property around my house. I have an angus bull on them that i used to moderate the size in my beef herd (brangus) a few years ago. His heifers are usually moderate in size for the angus breed, but have good deep bodies with some length to them. I guess i'm wanting to waste money with this experiment, but my wife has fallen in love with the Brown Swiss cows, so i plan to see where i can take the cross.. I plan to keep this bull for its maternal traits for a few years and then put a terminal bull on them to see what i can get. Good luck with whatever you try. I think a dairy influenced sire wouldn't be a terrible way to do it, but be careful with birth weights.

Had a few Brown Swiss years ago, got them with the intention of using them as recip cows for our Charolais herd. Never did go anywhere with that project and just bred them to Charolais bulls. The cross calves were big and grew good, kind of a light yellow color.

CreekAngus said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
Here's a question for all you guys. Does anyone cross dairy in there beef herds? I always try to make sure atleast one generation has Holstein in there blood lines then I put a big push on milk when I'm picking out bulls. Right wrong or indifferent it's what I do and it works really well for me. Just seeing if anyone else does it. I see most the big dealers (genex and abs) have been pushing these cross breeds
Why? Most beef breeds have enough milk to raise a calf. Are you planning on milking your cows?
No sir just after my first red Angus Holstein cross I picked up from a local dairy. She was the best cow I ever had raised the nicest biggest calves In the herd and always breed back the first service. I've just been convinced to keep running with that program

Latest posts